A Trip to Malaga v Barcelona 23 January 2016?

I know I should be spending all my spare time planning the Gersnet Dinner on the 30th of January but forgive me for turning my thoughts to warmer climes, even if the difference is relatively marginal in January, Malaga v Barcelona has more of ring to it than Morton v Rangers. And Malaga has a hell of a lot more going for it than Greenock; not least a new marina and the Picasso Museum vs graffiti on the walls of old shipyards.

So I was wondering if there would be any interest in a Gersnet trip to Malaga?

I know it's the immediate aftermath of Christmas but it needn't cost the earth. Right now you can get a return flight with Easyjet for £111 and 3 nights in a 3 star hotel in Fuengirola for example, for under £100, so half that if sharing. (There's a direct train from Fuengirola to Malaga.) There are advance purchase match tickets available for €63 (10% discount). So theoretically under £200 sharing or about £260 single occupancy. Plus food and spending money.

The big issue from an organisational point of view is that the Spanish are worse than us in terms of changing dates and KO times for TV. All Spanish games are listed as 4.00pm Sunday kick offs but are played over the weekend from Friday night to Monday night and they don't tend to announce until a month before the date. At the moment, the actual KO times of Malaga home games are only listed up to Sun 1st Nov. So even taking a chance on flying out on the Friday night would be problematical and we could book the return for the Monday and find the game being played that night. However, there is a Ryanair (yes, I know not my choice either) flight from Prestwick on the Thursday night for £29 and then worry about the return later.

I am pretty sure I could arrange a lunch or dinner with Antonia Tapia who was the Malaga Coach before Pellegrini and who led them to their first Europa League qualification in 2006. He speaks good English and is a great tactician. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Tapia

Obviously time off work would be another issue for most as would family commitments but perhaps wifes/girlfriends might be tempted. The Spanish sales will be on and there is great shopping in Malaga.

Anyone up for it?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

• 1 month later...

I will be in Marbella from the 17th to the 27th of January, so if anyone does want to go over for the game v Barcelona I can help with transport, hotels etc.

There are still advance purchase tickets available for €63 + €3 processing fee, which works out about £47. Not sure how long the advance purchase 10% discount is around.

I have chatted with Antonio Tapia and he will be happy to meet for lunch or dinner.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

• 1 month later...

The Malaga v Barcelona game is now a 4.00pm kick off on Saturday the 23rd.

There are still a few tickets left from €70.

You could do the flights with Easyjet out on Friday afternoon back Sunday night for £175 or back Monday for £150 plus 2/3 nights in a hotel and you can get a decent room in Fuengirola - train from airport and into Malaga for the match) for £50/60 a night.

I'll be there anyway and gladly help anyone who wants to go or if anyone on here lives out there would be great to meet up.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

It sounds excellent but with a young family, impossible for me.

However, feel free to interview Tapia for the site when you're next over!

My wife and I are meeting them for lunch on the Sunday, so I'll see if I can arrange that.

Subject? The state of Spanish football?

My wife and I are meeting them for lunch on the Sunday, so I'll see if I can arrange that.

Subject? The state of Spanish football?

Well, yes that would be agreeable - but obviously you'll need to add a Rangers twist where possible.

For example, what does he think of Warburton's tactics and plan As and Bs etc? You may want to prime him in advance!

Well, yes that would be agreeable - but obviously you'll need to add a Rangers twist where possible.

For example, what does he think of Warburton's tactics and plan As and Bs etc? You may want to prime him in advance!

I certainly was going to ask him about Benitez' sacking.

I'm not sure if he'll be familiar with Warburton's tactics let alone his lack of a plan B, so as you say it might be best to prime him advance.

His son works as a physio for one of the Russian teams, so there might be an angle there as well.

I'm not sure that I make the best journalist but I'll see what I can do.