Haw Allan, how do you like them Biscuits?

It was the evening of the 24th July 2015, and BBC Radio Scotland were hosting the usual suspects expressing their opinions on the start of the new season the following afternoon. The vast majority of the discussion centered around the Premiership, quite right too. Who would secure the title, relegation, and the progress of our representatives in European football were talked through, opinions differed most on candidates for relegation. How would Hearts fare on promotion sparked even more outpourings; Allan Preston, Tom English, and Michael Stewart were agreed on a top six finish. Oh, and all chorused, 'Hearts are a model club'.

The last couple of minutes were designated for Championship discussion and the objective Host of ra Show demurred to Players' Agent, scratch golfer, and big, BIG, Jambo, Allan Preston. You see, Allan had watched the vast majority of Jambo fixtures the previous season on behalf of BBC Scotland. The former stalwart of Dundee United reserves was unequivocating, "Hibs to win the title quite comfortably, by more than a few points". The Host asked about Rangers chances? Preston barreled on, "they finished third last season, three points behind a settled Hibs in second place. They've brought in too many players, they take time to settle, don't know each other. They'll make the play-offs and hope they don't face Motherwell again". The murmur of encouragement within the studio grew as Allan culminated, "Hibs will win at Easter Road tomorrow, Rangers won't be able to handle the pace and width of David Gray".

The show ended amid self satisfied sniggers.

Well, the next day arrived and Rangers appeared quite comfortable with the pace and width on display, by Rangers. We won 2-6, knocking Hibs out the Petrofac Cup for a second successive season. I guess our adhesion that afternoon was the result of good fortune?

The good fortune continues in the Championship. After a quarter of the games required, Rangers have a 100% record of nine games played and 27 points secured. Despite not being a model club, we should make the play-offs. Fellow Gersnetters, please do not be concerned, I am determined not to be Hubristic or triumphalistic. I know two out of our next three league games involve visits to both Paisley and Leith. Let's hope our good fortune is maintained?

After the five years we have endured, I hope this forum will indulge my indulgence and join me in enquiring of Allan, how do you like them Biscuits?

Preston isn't as bad as some folk at BBC Scotland but, like many normally neutral commentators, he's given into temptation to have a dig against the club that ruled the roost during his playing career.

Let's hope we can be the ones sniggering next year. :thup:

Preston isn't as bad as some folk at BBC Scotland but, like many normally neutral commentators, he's given into temptation to have a dig against the club that ruled the roost during his playing career.

Let's hope we can be the ones sniggering next year. :thup:

I agree about Preston, I suspect it was his turn.

If you remember last season after our 2-0 defeat at Tynecastle; Cosgrove's last caller was, 'Gordon the Jambo from Glasgow'? Clearly, it was a Pacific Quay Producer in a fit of triumphalism. Further, the two minute conversation allowed the tick box of 'Sevco', 'you let your club die' and 'you're not Rangers anymore'. Rehearsed and planned.

We will only put an end to it when we ridicule those participating.

It is refreshing to hear these various former Rangers players co-commentating on RTV being rather objective in their remarks about the club in general as well as the game going on in front of them. Be that e.g. Peter Lövenkrands or Hugh Burns this weekend. (You do note that I exclude Scottish media columnists Johnstone and Hateley ... )