Martyn Waghorn: Rangers are NOT a stepping stone for me...

Unconfirmed speculation has seen St Johnstone’s 24-year old striker Michael O’Halloran linked with a switch to Rangers.

The former Bolton and Tranmere forward impressed hugely when the two sides met in the League Cup, and is said to have piqued manager Mark Warburton’s interest as a result of his display.

The Glasgow born finisher, who supported Celtic as a boy, made a few waves with some comments in the press before and after his side’s victory at Ibrox, making this further development slightly left-field to say the least, but then there is quite a bit of previous recently for supposed boyhood fans of one Old Firm side to then sign with the other.

Rangers are most definitely on the look-out for a striker come January, and while the former Sheffield United attacker is more recognised as a forward in the mould of our very own Martyn Waghorn, his clinical finish to seal Rangers’ fate during the sides’ meeting suggests he could, in a football sense, be a valuable addition.

He is, however, under contract, having triggered an extension taking him through to summer 2016, so St Johnstone would require a fee.

Whether his signature would be welcomed with open arms by supporters, though, given his background and public comments, is another question.

Posted by Ibroxnoise.co.uk at 15:05

Email This

BlogThis!

Share to Twitter

Share to Facebook

Share to Pinterest

http://www.ibroxnoise.co.uk/2015/10/rangers-linked-to-spl-striker.html

Couldn't care less who he supports. I wouldn't want him based on his woeful track record.

I doubt if he would ever come close to scoring as many as Boyd. But I'm certain he will set up many goals for other players, something I can't recall Boyd ever doing Bruno.

Yep, a bit unfair on Boyd. Different type of strikers. Wouldn't want to compare McCoist with Hateley or Darcheville or Durie. At the end of the day, they done their job playing in different times, different teams and against different opponents (player-wise). Wouldn't want to taint Boyd's achievements with his rather woeful last season with us. Need not to concern us now though. It would be interesting to see us playing Hardie through the middle, even though he looks a bit light-weight still.

Regarding O'Halloran ... and since I did not see the game: was he any good throughout the game? Two goals and 5 assists in 12 games so far this season, being primarily a right-sided attacker.

Rangers ace Martyn Waghorn can be a star back in England when he leaves Ibrox, says former Sunderland teammate Michael Chopra

ALLOA striker believes Gers in-form hitman is destined for bigger things after watching him face up to Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand as a SIXTEEN year-old.

MARTYN WAGHORN was just sixteen when Roy Keane threw him in against Manchester United defenders Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand.

And at training every day, the young hitman wasn’t fazed by Sunderland bruiser Danny Higginbotham.

Even as a teen, he had the same upper body strength as he has now, starring as Rangers’ strong-arm striker.

His old Black Cats team-mate Michael Chopra was convinced a decade ago that Waghorn was destined for the top.

And after watching him rip up Scotland’s second tier with the Ibrox club – his opinion hasn't changed.

Chopra came through the Sunderland ranks with Waghorn and played in the same team against United on Boxing Day 2007 when he made his debut.

He believed then that his mate would shine in the Premier League.

Now, Chopra reckons he can get back there if he continues his goalscoring form for Gers when they hit the Premiership.

The Alloa striker has already suffered at the hands of Waghorn this season in a 5-1 defeat. And he’s not surprised the 25-year-old has been a revelation for Mark Warburton’s side.

Chopra, 31, told MailSport : “Even when Waggy was 16 you could see he was going to be a top player. At that age, he had the same stocky build he has now.

“I couldn’t believe someone so young could be so strong in his upper body.

“He was in holding his own against seasoned pros in training.

“Waggy could handle himself against all the first-team boys.

“We had the likes of Higginbotham, Danny Collins and Anton Ferdinand as our centre-backs. Phil Bardsley was also at the club.

“Higgingbotham, in particular, could look after himself, you wouldn’t mess with him.

“They had played most of their careers in England’s top flight so it was good for Waggy to learn his trade against boys like that.

“The fact he handled himself in that environment, it was only a matter of time before Keane chucked him in for his Sunderland debut against Man U.

“I played and trained with him every day so I know he can finish. We all felt he had the attributes and mentality to be a very good player.

“He was highly rated at Sunderland and was tagged the next big thing in English football.

“But in Waggy’s second season Keane brought in more established strikers like Djibril Cisse. So he didn’t get a chance to kick on and moved to Leicester.

“He did well but I’m convinced if he’d stayed at Sunderland, he could have really fulfilled his potential.”

Chopra knows people in England will look at Waghorn’s record so far at Rangers – 14 goals in 14 games – and shrug their shoulders.

But having now played on both sides of the border himself, the former Newcastle and Cardiff ace says it shouldn’t be sniffed at.

In fact, Chopra is convinced that if Waghorn keeps hitting the back of the net at his current ratio – clubs down south MUST take notice.

Waghorn won the Championship Player of the Month Award last week and Chopra said: “People will say it’s only Scottish football.

“But it doesn’t matter what league you’re in – as a striker you have a job to do.

“Waggy was always going to leave Wigan after they were relegated.

“When Rangers came, with the size of club and fan-base there, it was a no-brainer.

“He could easily break 25-30 goals this season and, you never know, a club in the Premier League might take a chance on him again if he keeps scoring in the Scottish Premiership. He’s still got the ability and the quality to play in England’s top flight. He just has to keep working hard and someone will show a bit of faith in him.

“The Premier League is still one of the best in the world. No disrespect to

Scottish football but if you get a chance down there, you take it.”

Chopra expects Waghorn to finish the campaign as Championship top scorer as Rangers romp their way to the title.

But he’s warned Warburton & Co. that they’re not the finished article just yet – as their League Cup defeat to St Johnstone proved.

He said: “Playing every week has been the key thing for Waggy.

“And I don’t think anyone can catch Rangers now in the Championship.

“They’d have wanted a good cup run but the St Johnstone defeat shows the difference between our league and the Premiership.

“Saints turned them over, they were comfortable winners. It’s been so easy for them in the Championship. I think that brought them down a peg or two.

“I still think they’ll go unbeaten in the league this season. They’re a different side to last year and it’s only a matter of time before they’re promoted.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-ace-martyn-waghorn-can-6611189

Went a little off the boil at the end. We saw how great a difference is between the top and the bottom, when Aberdeen were thumped 5-1 at home by the Perth Saints a week later ... and Aberdeen would have been clear favourites against us, had we drawn them. Even our old friend Spiers said that we sure did not succumb to St. Johnstone that day and in 10 games, we'd win our 4 or 5 as well. If anything on that day, St. Johnstone were clinical. But "a league better"?