Rangers U20s v Hibs U20s

AFTER his side moved to fourth in the Development League table Ian Durrant said it would mean just as much to him to see one of his youngsters run out at Ibrox, as it would to win the title.

Development is the main aim of the under-20s coach and he would love to see his boys claim first-team spots.

He was speaking after his young side beat Hibernian 3-0 through goals from Ross McCrorie and Ryan Hardie – who has been a regular on the first-team bench this season.

Durrant said: “I am pleased with the position at this stage but we know we can do better; we have had a few ups and downs this year.

“I’m not complaining though because we have a chance to develop some of the kids here and that is our main aim – to get the path between development and first-team.

“Of course I would like to win the title, I would be more delighted for the kids but if I can get ones in the first-team and see them playing in front of 50,000 I think I would be more than delighted.

“You would love to see Ryan get a shot in the first-team but I am sure that will come.

“When he comes down to the 20s he has to perform and show the manager what he can do and he certainly planted a seed today.

“It is the manager’s decision, he sees him day in day out and we are just delighted when we get him.

“He trains with the first-team every day now and you can see he is reaping the benefits of it – I think his fitness levels are better and in terms of his physicality he is stronger.

“We have not seen a lot of him this season but when he has been in our team we have won more games than we have lost.

“We know we won’t have the boys training with us all the time, everything is geared for the first-team this year and the 20s are merely a back-up.

“Whatever the manager requires the manager gets and if we get players then we are delighted.

“It’s about these boys getting some match fitness and some game time under their belt, not just Ryan but others too.

“I thought Tom Walsh excelled again, Jordan Thompson is getting better and stronger and young Fraser Aird again came in, played away and did a great job for the team.”

Three second-half goals undid the young Hibees after a stalemate in the first 45 minutes.

A bullet header from the captain McCrorie confirmed he isn’t just a defender and Hardie took his two goals superbly to finish the game off.

Durrant continued: “It was a bit of a battle until we got the first goal and then once we scored that and got the second and third through Ryan I thought we were comfy winners.

“You have to consider that we’ve not had a game for a few weeks so we were a wee bit conscious of that in terms of the level of fitness and the match practice.

“But once we got into the game the football players we had on show today were just a delight to watch at times.

“It was an excellent goal from Ross, he is a threat at set-pieces and wee Ross Lyon’s delivery was tailor-made for someone to go and attack the ball.

“Ross went and met it and I thought it was a superb header that set us on the road.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/durrant-development-the-main-aim/

Another thing which is impressive too is that the Club now has a full-time video analysis guy - who also gets volunteers to video the training sessions of the Academy teams. When I was there the U20's were being recorded and I believe that Warburton watches the sessions after 1st team training so that he can also assess the U20's - given he cant be in two places at once this is the next best thing.... The sessions are recorded for all Academy teams now I believe.

The guy that does the analysis is apparently fantastic, slicing the footage for individual players and also providing "opta" style statistics.

Very impressive.

Also, all the U20's were using the catapult analysis harnesses, as were all of the 1st team players.

The more I have seen and heard from behind the scenes the more impressed I am by Warburton.

That said, I am also very impressed with Craig Mulholland - he also participates in the U20's sessions and did last week when I was there. It is somewhat fortuitous that Mulholland's philosophy almost exactly matches that of Warburton.

@GersFamily: U20 GOAL | Ross McRorie | Rangers 3 - 0 Hibernian https://t.co/6cN54Nwlv0 #GersFamily #Video

@GersFamily: U20 GOAL | Ryan Hardie 1st | Rangers 3 - 0 Hibernian https://t.co/7UgNjHKSzN #GersFamily #Video

@GersFamily: U20 GOAL | Ryan Hardie 2nd | Rangers 3 - 0 Hibernian https://t.co/ty27pC5wE0 #GersFamily #Video

Edited by chilledbear