Ex-Ger Davis pleads with Warbs to stay at Ibrox

FULHAM and QPR want to hand Mark Warburton a passport back to the Championship.

But Steven Davis insists the Rangers boss could one day be managing in the Champions League if he sticks around at Ibrox.

The Southampton midfielder quit Gers in 2012 — but as a boyhood fan he continues to monitor the club closely.

Over the last few years, it's sometimes been agonising to watch — but finally former Ibrox skipper Davis sees some light at the end of a long dark tunnel.

And the Northern Ireland captain is convinced Warburton and David Weir will bring the glory days back to the club if they are given time.

Davis told Inside Sport: “The supporters will demand Rangers get back to the levels of success that they have had in the past.

“But it’s going to take time. It will be done in steps and they’ll need to put down building blocks.

“Mark is a talented manager and I am sure there will be interest in him from other clubs.

“But it’s important that Rangers start to build something again and it looks as if Mark and Davie Weir have started to do that.

“They have been excellent since they came in.

“I’ve seen a few of the Rangers games on the TV and they are playing really good stuff.

“They have made a few good signings and they are looking strong for the title.

“They seem to have done an excellent job in a short space of time and the signs are positive right now.

“I still keep an eye on Rangers, of course I do.

“I grew up supporting the club and I loved playing there. It’s still the first result that I look out for every week and a lot of the boys in my team will be the same.

“We had a great group of lads, a lot of us were fans too and we want to see Rangers back doing well and challenging for titles."

Davis won the lot during his time at Ibrox — but is also on the list of players who received a controversial EBT.

Speaking to SunSport in 2012, he shot down claims that Gers had cheated — and branded suggestions his medals could be taken from him as “ridiculous”. Three years on, Davis is aware that row is still rumbling on but refused the offer to wade into the debate again.

After a moment’s hesitation, he replied: “It’s probably best not saying too much about that.”

Southampton’s unique Old Firm alliance is currently taking the Premier League by storm under Ronald Koeman. Davis is outnumbered at St Mary’s, with former Celtic trio Fraser Forster, Victor Wanyama and Virgil van Dijk also there.

Davis admits he’s taken a ribbing from the Parkhead old boys as the Celts continue to dominate in Scotland — but he can’t wait for the day he can watch the big Glasgow derby with his Hoops-mad pals.

He said: “There are a few ex-Celtic boys in the dressing-room and there is always a bit of banter flying about.

“But they are all good boys and it’s all done in good spirits.

“Fraser, Virgil and Victor have been great for us, they have adapted and settled really well. They have been great signings.

“Hopefully there will be a few Old Firm derbies next season. I think that is important for Scottish football.

“It’s vital, first and foremost, that Rangers get promoted this year and the Old Firm becomes part of the game up there again.

“That fixture is a big draw for everyone, even people outside of Scotland.

“Hopefully the Old Firm derby will return next year and I can get up to a couple of the games.”

Northern Ireland skipper Davis has been a standout domestically, helping Saints to seventh place in the table, and at international level, leading Northern Ireland to next summer’s Euro finals in France.

He admitted: “This is probably the best spell of my career and I am really enjoying my football.

“Things are going well for club and country, and it’s been nice to chip in with a few goals for Northern Ireland and Southampton.

“It’s been great to have this kind of success with the national side and I enjoy the responsibility of being the captain. I’ve grown into the role, I feel. You learn and realise that you have to adapt as time goes on.

“But it is a great feeling to be leading the boys out for games, we are all enjoying our football and we will be confident going into the Euros.”

Northern Ireland beat Latvia 1-0 in a friendly on Friday night amid a carnival atmosphere at Windsor Park — with Davis scoring.

Boss Michael O’Neill won’t have much time with his players before heading to France next summer — but Davis insists they will be ready.

He said: “There won’t be many games before France so the manager is just looking to maximise the preparation time we have.

“We played three at the back against Latvia and that gives us an option when we face better opposition.

“It was a worthwhile experience and it was good to get another goal.

“We are on a good unbeaten run right now and we wanted to keep that going in the final game of the year.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/rangers/6743548/Ex-Ger-Davis-pleads-with-Warbs-to-stay-at-Ibrox.html

I would take Davis back in a heart beat he'd be brilliant in our midfield with the magic hats team...

I'm curious as to why you constantly refer to Mark Warburton as 'the magic hat' when he isn't personally a magic hat and the song about his supposed magic hat doesn't refer to him as a magic hat either?

Steve Davis is 30 now. Too old now unfortunately. No sell-on value.

That doesn't matter. MW spoke of bringing value and experience to the squad. Sell on value is important obviously but he'd happily take the off more experienced player too.

I'm curious as to why you constantly refer to Mark Warburton as 'the magic hat' when he isn't personally a magic hat and the song about his supposed magic hat doesn't refer to him as a magic hat either?

Can't believe im getting pulled up for calling warbs the magic hat zappa but if it bothers you ill stop...

That doesn't matter. MW spoke of bringing value and experience to the squad. Sell on value is important obviously but he'd happily take the off more experienced player too.

Gazza only last week some were saying were going for Kevin Nolan lol

Can't believe im getting pulled up for calling warbs the magic hat zappa but if it bothers you ill stop...

No, knock yourself out Bruno. I just don't get it really, so thought I'd ask you about it.

I just don't see where 'he wears a magic hat' translates to him actually physically being a magic hat.

No, knock yourself out Bruno. I just don't get it really, so thought I'd ask you about it.

I just don't see where 'he wears a magic hat' translates to him actually physically being a magic hat.

It's just a song bro the jungles go nuts when we mention the magic hat lol