Barrie McKay - The boy who never gave up

MANAGER Mark Warburton is thrilled with the impact Barrie McKay has had in his starting XI in recent weeks.

The young winger has been in scintillating form in recent weeks, and also scored the clinching goal in Monday’s 2-0 win at Morton.

Warburton said: “You just need to look at the strike just before his goal against Morton. He has confidence with both his feet and he can play 7, 8, 10 or 11 on the pitch.

“Technically he is first class and I just want Barrie to recognise the opportunity he has got. I don’t mean that in a bad way, I know he is first class here week in and week out, but he needs to know that every day he strives to be better because he has everything.

“Technically and physically, he is rapid and is strong. He’s just turned 21 over Christmas and he has everything in his locker.

“Like Rob Kiernan, if he wants to, he has the opportunity to go and play and the very highest level too.”

McKay’s flexibility came to the fore on Monday when he moved backwards into midfield, and his competency in that role greatly impressed the manager.

Warburton added: “He moved to a more central position in the second half. When we went down to ten men, the worst thing we could do would be to try to defend the lead.

“We moved to 4-3-2, with Dominic Ball sitting to provide a bit more solidity in terms of his defensive nature but we still wanted Barrie McKay and Dean Shiels to get forward to support Harry and Waggy.

“We created a lot of chances with ten men as well. Barrie played centrally and was clever playing in the eight or the ten. I want him high up the pitch, playing in the pockets and playing on the half turn and that’s we did for the goal.

“He got on the half turn, he was brave and played a great one two with Kenny, who had a nice touch and a tremendous finish.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/barrie-just-brilliant/

I could never figure why McCoist would play the much less talented Aird regularly, but was prepared to let McKay go on loan for long spells.

I assumed he had attitude or off-field issues.

Glad to see the lad turn things around.

McCoist rarely did anything remotely logical. If there was a right way and wrong way of doing something he would always pick the latter.

McCoist rarely did anything remotely logical. If there was a right way and wrong way of doing something he would always pick the latter.

In the old days, someone like that would be called a useless C. Nowadays, that sort of language is deemed hurtful & inconsiderate, so congrats on your choice of phrase there :-)