Id be all for it for goal decisions only which include offsides and goal line technology. The other 2 (penalties and red cards) can sometimes fall into an opinion however can still be included. I wouldn't stretch it to all 4 however they are all arguably good reasons for video ref as these decisions can make a difference in the outcome of a match result and the game doesn't have to stop at all.

Red cards - This is the dodgy one that could perhaps only be done for off the ball incidents where the ref cant see it as his back is turned.

Penalty decisions - If the ref hasn't given it then the game doesn't stop anyway but if he has missed it a quick shout in the ear means he can give it. If he has given a pen as a wrong decision that's where it gets tricky.

Off side decisions for goals awarded wrongly - 100% for this as the game has stopped anyway for a goal but if it was awarded wrongly then video ref can call it and its no different to a restart free kick for the defensive side.

Off side decisions for offside decision wrongly flagged - This one cant be introduced as how would you restart play and nobody knows if the player would have scored.

Goal-line decisions - Absolutely for this. If the ball has crossed the line and not given then a quick shout in the refs ear means he rightly awards a goal. If the ref has awarded a goal that hasn't crossed the line then its again tricky to restart play as if play wasn't stopped the attacking side could still have scored seconds later or the defence could have cleared it - the only restart could be a bounce up in the 6 yard box.

Edited by Gribz

I'm all up for the video ref.

Think it would work great as long as they can keep up with the pace of the game, which is why i understand the complaints about stop starting games.

If its a case of a quick review of an incident, say penalty, whilst play continues, then a word in Ref's ear from video ref, was a "Penalty" or "no penalty". Or Ref is unsighted and his linemen is too far away, it would take 15-20 seconds to review and decide.

It might stop simulation too!!!!

Rugby is a different, slower sport. Tennis is a completely different sport that already stops and starts between each and every point.

Correct decisions are desirable but not necessary.

I don't want the game to be stopped while the referee checks the video. I don't want teams at matches with more cameras to have a better chance of correct decisions. I don't want breaks in play to become a tool for managers to interrupt the flow of an opponent. Footballers already appeal every foul like little children. Imagine how bad it would be if a video replay was available at the time.

I think you will find in most if not all the instances above the game will have stopped anyway. I believe it will take about 30 seconds to look back. It will only be used on the important decisions above and not for every offside rule. I think it will also add a new dimension to watching the game as well. It will be great riling the other supporters if their goal is chopped off.

Scotland's top league will never get this, we don't even have goal line technology yet and that's been around for a couple of years.

Edit: Pete...do they have goal line technology in the Dutch leagues ?

I don't think so but I think Italy already use it.