Three games in a week - all upon plastic

Saturday sees the Bears visit Recreation Park and play for ninety-odd minutes on a ten year old artificial surface. Both players and ball splash through granulated rubber shards that cover the pitch. The bounce of the ball and players changing direction appear to be the most common complaint. It should be noted that the surface is the same for both teams.

Tuesday evening demands a visit to Kilmarnock and a surface that is several months old. The latest in articficial fibre, apparently it's a softer, more forgiving surface; but ball and player movement remains effected.

A week on Sunday finds us make our sixth visit to Palmerston in three short years. I believe the surface is just over three years old and ranks between Alloa and Killie in the artificial evolution.

I thought McCoist over-egged a rancid pudding reference the drastic plastic. No doubt encouraged by Templeton and a few others picking up injuries at Annan and Stirling. However, I listened to Stuart Lovell of the players union last evening making another case against, from a different angle. He advocated the players' view, in that there are 42 senior clubs in Scotland and twelve have artificial surfaces. He wondered aloud if any of those dozen club Chairs, or indeed, club Boards had asked their respective playing staffs as to whether they wanted to ply their trade on plastic? Quite correctly, he stated, 'it's a change in conditions of service'.

My concern generally, and particularly for Rangers in the coming week; is recovery time. All agree, recovery periods after playing on plastic, are longer. The perceived wisdom among our support in the last month, is that three-four of our more established players are playing with an injury or two. If plastic exacerbates strains and recovery is longer, can we risk those players in all three games?

I suggest both King and O'Halloran start at Alloa as they are cup-tied for Killie. Rugby Park will be along normal lines(any news on Tiernan), and Queens might be a case of patch repairs. The aim remains to win all three matches. Interesting challenge for the man replete in a magic hat?

Saturday sees the Bears visit Recreation Park and play for ninety-odd minutes on a ten year old artificial surface. Both players and ball splash through granulated rubber shards that cover the pitch. The bounce of the ball and players changing direction appear to be the most common complaint. It should be noted that the surface is the same for both teams.

Tuesday evening demands a visit to Kilmarnock and a surface that is several months old. The latest in articficial fibre, apparently it's a softer, more forgiving surface; but ball and player movement remains effected.

A week on Sunday finds us make our sixth visit to Palmerston in three short years. I believe the surface is just over three years old and ranks between Alloa and Killie in the artificial evolution.

I thought McCoist over-egged a rancid pudding reference the drastic plastic. No doubt encouraged by Templeton and a few others picking up injuries at Annan and Stirling. However, I listened to Stuart Lovell of the players union last evening making another case against, from a different angle. He advocated the players' view, in that there are 42 senior clubs in Scotland and twelve have artificial surfaces. He wondered aloud if any of those dozen club Chairs, or indeed, club Boards had asked their respective playing staffs as to whether they wanted to ply their trade on plastic? Quite correctly, he stated, 'it's a change in conditions of service'.

My concern generally, and particularly for Rangers in the coming week; is recovery time. All agree, recovery periods after playing on plastic, are longer. The perceived wisdom among our support in the last month, is that three-four of our more established players are playing with an injury or two. If plastic exacerbates strains and recovery is longer, can we risk those players in all three games?

I suggest both King and O'Halloran start at Alloa as they are cup-tied for Killie. Rugby Park will be along normal lines(any news on Tiernan), and Queens might be a case of patch repairs. The aim remains to win all three matches. Interesting challenge for the man replete in a magic hat?

To be fair, from what I've seen from Willie Vass lately, we've done most of training on artificial surfaces so we should be more than ready for the games and recovery.

But, yes, utilising the squad is a must over the next week.

Kiernan tweeted after the game (or day after) that he was ok and it wasn't serious so I'm sure he will be available.

If any doubts I'd rest him on Saturday and go with Ball/Wilson at CB.

I think he'll be rested on Saturday and replaced by Ball. This will allow Halliday to drop back into his usual position and give us more attacking options in the final third.