Derek Johnstone: Lee Wallace Scotland snub is a kick in the teeth for Rangers captain

RANGERS legend Derek Johnstone has slammed Gordon Strachan for snubbing Lee Wallace in his Scotland plans, describing it as ‘a kick in the teeth’ and ‘wrong’.

The national team boss yesterday announced two groups of 19 players for this month’s friendlies with the Czech Republic and Denmark as he casts an eye over fringe stars and untested talents.

However, despite the fact Rangers captain Wallace’s last Scotland outing came in 2013, there was no room for the left-back who has been in impressive form for the Championship leaders.

Strachan justified his decision by claiming the 28-year-old was one of a group of players who he knew ‘could do a job’.

But it was an explanation that failed to stack up for former Gers and Scotland star Johnstone.

“From a selfish point of view I’m delighted he isn’t called up as it means he won’t get injured looking towards Rangers’ tough run in,” said DJ.

“On the other hand I feel sorry for the boy as he’s been out of the Scotland scene for so long.

“Four years ago he knew that by dropping down the leagues and playing inferior opposition he may drop out of contention, but he has been terrific.

“In the Championship this season, Lee has shown what a good player he is, I’m absolutely gutted for him. It’s wrong.

“Charlie Mulgrew is a good player but he’s been injured for months, hardly played a game but is on both squads. Steven Whittaker hasn’t kicked a ball for Norwich since October and he’s in as well.

“I don’t understand it and I don’t buy the excuse for it given who he has called up. Gordon is more than aware of these guys and has picked them many times before.

“It’s a kick in the teeth to be perfectly honest.”

Wallace’s omission was not the only one to upset Rangers fans yesterday afternoon as not one of Mark Warburton’s Scottish contingent received a tap on the shoulder.

It caused fury on social media as some Light Blues supporters had high hopes that Jason Holt, new signing Michael O’Halloran and Barrie McKay – who was called up to the Under-21s - may have recognised.

DJ shares their frustrations, and said: “One man in the top five contenders for player of the year is Michael O’Halloran. He has been excellent for St Johnstone and he doesn’t even get a sniff.

“It’s great for young Kieran Tierney of Celtic to get a call up, he’s had a run of games at full-back and has done well for them.

“Good for him, but I don’t understand why there isn’t a single Rangers player in this squad.

“Barrie McKay has done tremendously well too and he has to stick in the U21s. It baffles me, how could he not pick some of the guys?”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14337199.Derek_Johnstone__Lee_Wallace_Scotland_snub_is_kick_in_the_teeth/

Don't agree with DJ here. Strachan knows what Wallace can do, it would be pointless calling him up.

“Charlie Mulgrew is a good player but he’s been injured for months, hardly played a game but is on both squads. Steven Whittaker hasn’t kicked a ball for Norwich since October and he’s in as well.

“I don’t understand it and I don’t buy the excuse for it given who he has called up. Gordon is more than aware of these guys and has picked them many times before.

Don't agree with DJ here. Strachan knows what Wallace can do, it would be pointless calling him up.

That argument would stand up far better if the squad was full of untried and untested players. But when the likes of Mulgrew and Whittaker are in, players whom "Strachan knows what they can do", then it doesn't stand up nearly so well.

Edited by craig

I'm happy none of our players got called up,obviously wee Barrie for the U21s,we have a busy run in to the end of the season,and I have no interest in a Scotland friendly,but it is a clear snub for our captain no doubt about it

Lee's been excellent bombing forward but maybe Strachan doesn't want to play that type of game. Frankly when Lee (or Tavs for that matter) are one on one with a tricky winger I hold my breath. He's been playing well recently but there have been times when he's looked vulnerable at the back. Strachan is too much of a pro to leave a player out because he plays for us.....that's nonsense.

I reckon Strachan and McGhee have done well with what they've got available for the Scotland squad

I'm happy none of our players got called up,obviously wee Barrie for the U21s,we have a busy run in to the end of the season,and I have no interest in a Scotland friendly,but it is a clear snub for our captain no doubt about it

Agree I haven't heard many Rangers supporters complaining as big DJ says.

Lee's been excellent bombing forward but maybe Strachan doesn't want to play that type of game. Frankly when Lee (or Tavs for that matter) are one on one with a tricky winger I hold my breath. He's been playing well recently but there have been times when he's looked vulnerable at the back. Strachan is too much of a pro to leave a player out because he plays for us.....that's nonsense.

I reckon Strachan and McGhee have done well with what they've got available for the Scotland squad

I'm not suggesting that,but it is a snub!,who is the better player right now, Wallace or Tierney?,players are supposed to be rewarded for their performances and feel they are in the picture by way of Scotland call ups

I'm not suggesting that,but it is a snub!,who is the better player right now, Wallace or Tierney?,players are supposed to be rewarded for their performances and feel they are in the picture by way of Scotland call ups

sorry....I knew you weren't suggesting that..................it's just facebook is full of that pish

sorry....I knew you weren't suggesting that..................it's just facebook is full of that pish

No problem mate.

But I can understand when some fans think that way,although don't agree with it,on the face of it when you consider wee Barrie is selected for the U21s and Tierney gets a call into the senior squad at 18 years old and has no Scotland caps at any age level!