Wallace Glad He Stayed

011215_dumbarton_lee_wallace_cele_02.jpg

AS RANGERS hopefully close in on promotion back to Scottish football’s top flight, one man in particular is looking forward to savouring what will hopefully be a very special moment.

Captain Lee Wallace has seen it all from demotion to Division Three and then the climb back through the leagues to now, where the Light Blues hold a 12 point lead at the top of the Champiosnhip.

There have been plenty of lows through that spell, and Wallace, who received immense criticism from many outside of Rangers for his decision to stay with the club, admits he is immensely proud to have stuck it out side by side with the Light Blues’ supporters.

Speaking firstly about the criticism he took, Wallace explained: “It was something I never took notice of at the time. It was all about Rangers for me and how I could contribute and play my part in the club’s recovery to get back to the levels where we should be playing our football.

“This is the club that I love and the club that I wanted to go on and do ever so well for. The fact is I came to this club to be a winner and to be successful – and I said that in my first press conference.

“I arrived into a dressing room full of winners, and in five or six years’ time if a new player comes in and says the same, but with me being one of those winners then, of course, I will be over the moon.

“The plan has always been to be successful for the club – and this is a club that traditionally is used to winning top-level silverware, and I’m no different.

“I am totally aware over the last few years that we have been expected to win these leagues, and I don’t want personal praise or to act the hero in terms of what we’ve done over the last few years.

“What I will take pleasure in is the fact that I have been there with the fans for the last couple of years and we have stuck it out together, and have done ever so well to get ourselves into a good position, although the league hasn’t been decided yet.

“I have been really, really fortunate to play for this club for the length of time I have, and there are hopefully a lot more years ahead of me with us being successful at the top level.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/wallace-glad-stayed/?

“This is the club that I love and the club that I wanted to go on and do ever so well for. The fact is I came to this club to be a winner and to be successful – and I said that in my first press conference.

Class......................

I think there were times when Greenco wanted to punt him and he said no

I'll be honest colin , I wanted him punted along with the other failures from last season. The whole lot of them. I had my suspicions about McCoist and Co's abilities. Events since MW arrived prove them. I'm now glad Wallace stayed.

I like Lee he reminds me of my uncle, who incidentally and topically since we've been linked recently played with the famous pre and war time 'Lilly Whites' albeit not quite as creative mind but an engine to admire (Hibee or not he has my admiration). ;)

I have always been very critical of Wallace,I always felt he could do so much more than he did, I am still not too convinced about his defensive qualities,but respect to the guy he is a born leader and I think he is at the top of his game mainly due to the system MW plays which allows him,and all the players,the freedom to express themselves.

He must be a nightmare to play against as his non stop powerful runs are very hard to stop,the man is a born leader and is fast becoming a Rangers legend.

Edited by ian1964