Or international football at least. Back in Euro 2004, Greece bored the world to victory as they shocked the odds to win, ironically against a vastly more talented Portugal side featuring Figo, Ronaldo, Deco, Rui Costa etc. Although I advocate a much more entertaining brand of football, I had little criticism for them as they used the system which best suited them. They were punching way above their weight. That said, it showed that climates were changing as this Greek side would never have won in years gone by.

Now in 2016, an absolutely dismal looking Portugese side has reigned supreme. To give them credit, they have defended well but given the value of their squad and talent at their diposal, their performance has been embarrassing. They really have been awful.

This only confirms what we have known for some time: international football is irrelevant compared to club level. The only nations who stood out were underdogs like Wales, Iceland and Hungary. I also have to say, it's quite frustrating seeing Ronaldo win again, despite yet having another anonymous final.

All in all, Portugal prove apt winners of a woeful tournament and are a sad indictment of modern international football. I think if you ask me in a few months to recall Euro 2016, I will speak with fondness about a valiant, over-performing Wales side, a fantastic goal from Shaqiri and little else. The decision to allow three teams to proceed from many of the groups is also one of the worst I've ever seen.

The whole tournament was devoid of anything relating to entertainment with the usual suspects delivering from the studio and others providing commentary. Can you imagine how different it would have been if Captain Broony led by Ginger nut along with the rest of the Tartan Ar(seholes)my ?

No me neither!

Too many teams, too many games, too many participants playing like they were spent,

all of which contributed to the primacy of defensive play/tactics, and delivered a poor tournament.

That the Final was disappointing should be no surprise.