Zak Rudden on ‘father figure’ Kenny Miller

Scotland Under-17 star Zak Rudden on ‘father figure’ Kenny Miller ahead of crunch Euros clash with Hungary

The Rangers rookie*admits*he keeps an eye on what the veteran hitman does both on and off the pitch

SCOTLAND UNDER-17 striker Zak Rudden is determined to follow in ‘father figure’ Kenny Miller’s footsteps.

At 37, he’s just been awarded a new contract and is the club’s undisputed Player of the Year.

Rudden’s just starting out and knows there is a lot he can take from the far-travelled front-man.

The 17-year-old, who will be a key man for Scotland’s Under-17s in their second group game against Hungary, said: “I do speak to Kenny sometimes and it’s great having a striker like him at the club, someone who is still performing at the highest level every week at his age.

“We all really look up to him. You could say he’s like a father figure for us because he sets such a great example to the young players.“He really looks after himself. I like him as a person as well because he’s good with all of us.

“He takes a real interest in how we’re doing, so when I watch the games I always try to keep an eye on what he does.“It’s not just in the games. I look at what he does off the pitch as well because there’s no-one better at Rangers to learn from.”

Rudden only has positive things to say, too, about new first-team boss Pedro Caixinha.

While he’s endured and up and down start in terms of results, Rudden is the latest young player to pass comment on the Portuguese coach’s inclusive approach at the training ground.

He said: “As far as I’m concerned the manager’s been great. When he first came in he said he had belief in young players.“When you’re young you want to be challenged at the highest level so for him to come in and be open with us makes you confident that if you’re doing well and working hard then he’ll put you in.

“The proof’s already there to see because he brought in Myles Beerman. It gives the rest of us more belief and shows there’s a path to the first team.“You can see he’s a good manager and a big character. You get the feeling from him that he wants to win. He wants to bring the glory days back to Rangers.“If you’re a player or a supporter, it shows that there’s something good going on at the club

“He’s really involved. You get some managers who don’t say much. They just concentrate on the first team.“But if you see him he’ll stop and talk to you. He’ll ask how you’re getting on and give you advice.

“He’s made it clear that whether you’re in the first team, the Under-20s or the Under-17s, everyone is part of things.“I’m hoping a chance comes my way over the next year or so. It’ll take any chance I get.“If I get to go away with the first team in pre-season, great. If not, I’ll keep working hard and hopefully the opportunity will come.”

First and foremost, Rudden’s focus is on today’s meeting with Hungary.

The tartan teens are looking to build on the opening win over Faroe Islands, and know victory will put them within touching distance of the knockout stage.

Rudden was suspended for the 2-0 defeat of the Faroes and receiving treatment for an injury picked up in the Youth Cup Final, but he’s desperate to be unleashed on the Hungarians.

He said: “It was frustrating not being on the pitch so I can’t wait for the Hungary game.“We’re full of confidence that we can beat them. It will be tough but we’ll take that in our stride.

“We’re not too bothered about the other results or what we have to do to qualify mathematically. I prefer to focus on our games and the team’s performances.“If we win all of our games then we’ll top the group, simple as that.

“There’s no reason why we can’t. We’ve only lost one goal so far over the two qualifying sections and the first game in the finals.“We know we’ve got a chance to qualify from the groups and do well here.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/966006/scotland-under-17-star-zak-rudden-on-father-figure-kenny-miller-ahead-of-crunch-euros-clash-with-hungary/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-scotsunsport-_-News-_-TwImageandlink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER