Transfer Window Preview, Part 2: Who Do We Need?

This will be on the home page when Frankie has a chance.

The transfer window is open! Hurrah!

OK, OK. I'm not that excited. However, we still have some questions to consider, after I attempted to move on 6 first team players in Part 1 of my Transfer Window Preview:

What positions do Rangers need to fill in this window?

Who could they sign to fill those positions?

Let's start at the back. As far as goalkeepers are concerned Rangers are in a very strong position. As well as having two experienced professionals competing for the number 1 jersey, there are an abundance of young stoppers who have represented their countries all through the age groups. We don't need any activity in this department, for years to come, we'd hope.

Across the defence, both Cardoso and Alves have question marks over their heads during this window. The situation looks a tad concerning if either or both players move on. We could be left with just Wilson, Bates and McCrorie as senior centre-backs. There is more young talent to come from Auchenhowie in this position, but we wouldn't want to have to rely on this week-in, week-out; there is a Scottish Premiership title to be won!

If we work on the assumption that Fabio Cardoso will return to Portugal in the next few weeks, having barely featured under Graeme Murty, who could we bring in to replace him?

Dundee's 22-year-old Jack Hendry has this morning been linked by a Scottish newspaper with a move to Celtic. The article suggests a fee would be somewhere between £500,000-£1.5million. If that was the case, he should surely also be a person of interest for Rangers, depending on which side of the Glasgow divide he sits on. Newcastle United and Crystal Palace were also named in the article, but Hendry has already moved to England once before and failed to make the grade. Scottish football data and tactical analyst, @TheSPFLRadar, tweeted yesterday to suggest Hendry "isn't ready for Celtic yet". Would he be ready for Rangers?

At full-back, Rangers have already completed the permanent signing of Declan John. This maintains Rangers' current status with just 3 fit senior full-backs. Lee Wallace has been nearly ready to return for a while now, and you'd have to expect he'll be back before the end of the window. Again, there are young lads available to provide further cover. As long as we keep hold of Tavernier, I wouldn't be pushing for any hasty recruitment in this area - as weak as our current options are defensively.

Moving in to midfield, when all are fit, we have good options in the middle. McCrorie has been a revelation at holding mid and Jamie Barjonas is ready to play a regular part too, from what I have seen. However, with Rossiter, Jack and Dorrans all injured, you could suggest a loan signing might be beneficial. Based on an article in the Scottish Sun just yesterday [https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2031436/rangers-napli-marcus-mcguane-january-loan/], it would seem moves are afoot to bring in Arsenal's England U19 international combative midfielder, Marcus McGuane. I can't tell you much about him, but the article suggests a number of clubs across Europe would be interested in his services. McGuane has come off the bench for Arsenal in the Champions League this season, but he is hardly competing for a place in the first team.

In the wide areas, with Josh Windass linked away, Rangers may have to find at least one new recruit in this area in case Windass does attract a large enough offer. In my opinion, the number one target in the Premiership for Rangers should be Jordan Jones. The Kilmarnock winger created a whole host of problems for James Tavernier in the recent fixture and he looks like he could provide good service for Alfredo Morelos up top. Rangers were heavily linked with Jamie Walker throughout the last window, but since then Walker has hardly impressed. I wouldn't like Rangers to renew their interest at this stage.

We should also remember that Michael O'Halloran will return to Rangers this week, which bolsters numbers at wing and full-back if nothing else.

The 'number 10' position is possibly the most critical area for Graeme Murty to seek something new. Alfredo Morelos is the top scorer in the league, but it could be double that if he had a better supporting play-maker to work with. Neither Niko Krancjar or Carlos Peña are capable of effectively supporting Morelos, and with Kenny Miller injured, it seems inevitable that Rangers will recruit in this area if at least Peña can be moved on. Are there any players in Scotland who could be a benefit to Rangers in this area? I'd need to do more homework in this area before making a genuine suggestion.

Finally, up front we are also struggling for someone, anyone, other than Morelos to make a worthwhile contribution this season. With Kenny Miller injured, Eduardo Herrera hopefully finding a return to Mexico and Ryan Hardie probably not good enough (if we're honest), Rangers need to invest in this position. The Louis Moult ship has already sailed, and I am quite disappointed that Rangers did not even attempt to sign him. We should be signing players like Moult when they show that they have the right attributes to play for us. Rangers would probably have to look outside Scotland to fill this position; preferably not Mexico.

If I've missed any blatantly obvious hot prospects from Scotland that we should be talking about, please log on to Gersnet and let us know!

Here's hoping for a happy new year and productive transfer window!

excellent post mate.

unfortunately it seems that we are almost round with Russel Martin of Norwitch who has looked like a donkey any time I have seen him. Jamie Murphy also seems to be a favourite to join us.

A good piece but have to be honest and say the names mentioned to come in dont inspire me. We shouldnt be looking at cherry picking Kilmarnock and Dundee players.

All in all I see minimal Ins and Outs in January.

I do wonder if O Hallaran coming in and getting on with Murty can be a boost to the team though.

Thanks for your feedback, chaps.

Jamie Murphy also seems to be a favourite to join us.

I realised afterwards that I had missed out the Murphy rumour, but being honest I don't know anything worthwhile about him to write an opinion.

We shouldnt be looking at cherry picking Kilmarnock and Dundee players.

I get you, but, the majority of our successful players have been signed from the likes of Kilmarnock and Dundee; Kris Boyd and Nacho Novo to name just two.

I am a firm believer that signing the best players in Scotland will help us become the best team in Scotland (once again).

Plus, it should be a cheaper market compared to what we get from England or further afield. Part of that though, is enhancing our reputation as a buying club and improving relationships with the clubs we buy from.

I get you, but, the majority of our successful players have been signed from the likes of Kilmarnock and Dundee; Kris Boyd and Nacho Novo to name just two.

I am a firm believer that signing the best players in Scotland will help us become the best team in Scotland (once again).

Plus, it should be a cheaper market compared to what we get from England or further afield. Part of that though, is enhancing our reputation as a buying club and improving relationships with the clubs we buy from.

Yes there has been some good signings over the years but I would say for every one good signing there has been about 3 or 4 disasters like Kyle, Gow, Bollan, Velicka.

1 or 2 of the best of the rest has always worked when they have slipped under the radar like Novo and then Neil McCann was an awesome signing, but if we start making the majority of our team make up of these players we will end up an average SPL team especially with the standard not being what it was 10 years ago.

The Murphy signing is of more interest, I think a player can benefit from a spell down south and can have something to prove when they come back north.

Yes there has been some good signings over the years but I would say for every one good signing there has been about 3 or 4 disasters like Kyle, Gow, Bollan, Velicka.

1 or 2 of the best of the rest has always worked when they have slipped under the radar like Novo and then Neil McCann was an awesome signing, but if we start making the majority of our team make up of these players we will end up an average SPL team especially with the standard not being what it was 10 years ago.

The Murphy signing is of more interest, I think a player can benefit from a spell down south and can have something to prove when they come back north.

Regardless of where players come from, our budget means we have to get much better value out of the money we spend to have any chance of getting anywhere close to an acceptable level.

Over the years, too many players have joined us and went backwards for it to be a coincidence. We need to start consistently improving players and adding value and that should start with the development squad, including a pathway for those good enough.

Going out and taking a punt on established names who are winding their career down should be stopped as it costs more than it delivers. We need the new scouting department to spot the decent players before they make headlines and their values increase.

Regardless of where players come from, our budget means we have to get much better value out of the money we spend to have any chance of getting anywhere close to an acceptable level.

Over the years, too many players have joined us and went backwards for it to be a coincidence. We need to start consistently improving players and adding value and that should start with the development squad, including a pathway for those good enough.

Going out and taking a punt on established names who are winding their career down should be stopped as it costs more than it delivers. We need the new scouting department to spot the decent players before they make headlines and their values increase.

Would you class Jack Hendry as player who has yet to make the headlines and has potential to improve?

Would you class Jack Hendry as player who has yet to make the headlines and has potential to improve?

Don't know enough about the lad to properly answer that other than to say he is already 22 and the headlines have been ongoing for a while with a mooted fee that would suggest we are too late.

Ideally, our scouting dept. should be well ahead of your average messageboard punter but given it's only recently got up and running, probably needs a little time to bed in.

The other issue is not letting decent youngsters that you have on the books go. Whilst impossible not to get some wrong, we seem to have been making a habit out of it.