Fernando Ricksen

VOICE JOY

Listen as Rangers legend Fernando Ricksen thanks fans for support using new Stephen Hawking-style machine – and asks them to ‘bear with’ new female voice

We exclusively revealed the Rangers legend, 42, started using the tech last month for the latest twist in his five-year battle motor neurone disease

By Katy Pagan
10th September 2018, 9:57 am
Updated: 10th September 2018, 10:12 am

THIS is the heart-warming moment Fernando Ricksen uses his new Stephen Hawking-style computer to thank fans for their unwavering support – and asks them to bear with his new female voice.

We exclusively revealed the Rangers legend, 42, started using the tech last month in his latest motor neurone disease battle.

Fernando has been gifted the device to help him chat with his kids and wife easier

Fernando has been gifted the device to help him chat with his kids and wife easier

He uses his eyes to select pre-programmed personalised phrases on the £20,000 machine which are read aloud to wife Veronika, 32, and daughter Isabella, five.

And now he has spoken directly to Rangers fans with his new found voice.

Rangers hero Fernando Ricksen gifted Stephen Hawking-style kit to speak with family after motor neurone disease ravaged his voice

In a 30-second video, posted by the ex-footie star’s biographer Vincent de Vries, Ricksen can be seen sitting in an armchair while recording his message through the hi-tech gadget.

Speaking via the machine, the Ibrox hero said: “Hello, for the people who don’t know me I am Fernando Ricksen and I suffer from Motor Neurone Disease also known as ALS.

The Ibrox legend selects phrases on computer screen with his eyes

The Ibrox legend selects phrases on computer screen with his eyes

“Because of this muscle disease I am unable to speak.

“Since one month I have a new device that speaks for me.”

He adds: “At the moment I only have a female voice so bear with me.

“I want to thank everyone for the love and support on my birthday so thank you for the energy.”

unnamed-1.png?strip=all&w=620&quality=100

The video has already been viewed almost 4,000 times since it was shared this morning with fans rallying around the stricken star.

Craig Barlow said: “God bless you Fernando forever in our hearts. A true fighter.”

Another Twitter user added: “So sad to see Fernando like this. He still manages a smile too.

“Stay strong big man.”

The kit allows the ex-Rangers star to chat with his family

The kit allows the ex-Rangers star to chat with his family

And a third wrote: “Stay strong Fernando. I don’t care if it’s a ladies voice glad to hear from you.”

The positive messages of support come after determined Ricksen urged footie fans not to pity him for the latest twist in his five-year battle with the killer disease.

He said: “Nobody has to be sad for me. This is life, we have to take it as it comes. I’m still here and fighting strong.

“This device makes it easier for me — next time someone sees me I can answer back when they ask something instead of just looking at them.”

A truly disgusting disease that robs people of their physical abilities while their brain remains fully functional. How that must feel is beyond my comprehension. With all the money being pumped into cancer research, these diseases and others that are life-limiting rather than terminal (MND, MS etc) seem to be always have very little by way of funds for research to find a cure.

I hope this makes his life a little more comforting now he can communicate with his family again.