[FT] Rangers 7 - 1 Motherwell (Arfield 8', 61', Tavernier 35' pen, Morelos 38', Middleton 59', Grezda 68', 75')

3 hours ago, Gaffer said:

The manager and coaches felt he needed to vary his game more, rather than just going down the outside each time.  I mentioned in the Sunday match thread that they had Jamie Murphy and Steven Smith on RTV and it was a very good commentary team, along with Tom.  Jamie was able to give great insight on many things throughout the game, and one thing he spoke about was Middleton, and the drills the coaches are doing with him to help vary his play.  Jamie specifically mentioned his confidence to use his pace on the wing all the time was admirable but too easy to defend in many occasions.  He said he was pleased on Sunday to see the training pitch drills working out the way the coaches wanted them to in that game against Motherwell.

I felt he was right because that's the most I've seen Middleton vary his play and Well couldn't live with his pace and trickery.  I hope the boy continues to develop because he could be a really good player for us.  He's certainly direct and exciting.

Thanks for the info I hadn't heard that commentary.

There's no question that there needs to be an element of unpredictability in your play as a winger. But I think far too much credit is given to players like Kent who cut inside all the time as if that somehow makes them more dangerous. Motherwell were tripling up on Middleton for a reason, he's so fast they wanted to push him inside. 

The sting came right out of Grezda's game when he switched to the left too because all of a sudden he was running away from the fullback inside rather than running past him down the line, which was resulting in a pass to a centre midfielder in a non-threatening position rather than a cross to a striker in a threatening position. When I'm marking a winger who does that I feel very comfortable. Barrie McKay had the passing range and general technique to play the "wrong wing" role brilliantly at times, especially with Wallace overlapping. Without the overlapping fullback (when Flanagan plays) and without very good technique and passing it does little more than keep possession the vast majority of the time and doesn't result in any penetration whatsoever, which we saw a lot of for a spell there.

Great to hear they are working on drills to bring dynamism to the play on the wings though because Middleton will be impossible to mark with his pace when the team are giving him one-two options inside as well as down the line.

Edited by DMAA

8 hours ago, Gaffer said:

The manager and coaches felt he needed to vary his game more, rather than just going down the outside each time.  I mentioned in the Sunday match thread that they had Jamie Murphy and Steven Smith on RTV and it was a very good commentary team, along with Tom.  Jamie was able to give great insight on many things throughout the game, and one thing he spoke about was Middleton, and the drills the coaches are doing with him to help vary his play.  Jamie specifically mentioned his confidence to use his pace on the wing all the time was admirable but too easy to defend in many occasions.  He said he was pleased on Sunday to see the training pitch drills working out the way the coaches wanted them to in that game against Motherwell.

I felt he was right because that's the most I've seen Middleton vary his play and Well couldn't live with his pace and trickery.  I hope the boy continues to develop because he could be a really good player for us.  He's certainly direct and exciting.

But that can't be right..... it's exactly what I said and folks are telling me I'm wrong - the coaches must be wrong too :ninja:   :fish2: