Porto star Pepe praises ‘very strong’ Rangers as Morelos impresses Diaz

Porto hard man Pepe admitted he was hugely impressed with Rangers after their superb Europa League display.

Steven Gerrard's men returned to Glasgow with a hard-fought point which could easily have been three after an excellent showing in Portugal.

And the 36-year-old, 106-times capped former Real Madrid stopper, was complimentary about the Ibrox side's performance at the Estadio do Dragao.

He said: "We scored a good goal, but conceded before the interval.

"We tried to respond in the second half. But Rangers are a team who are very strong on the counter-attack with very fast players.

"I think the draw was a fair result because both teams had opportunities.

"Perhaps if we had stayed ahead by the interval it could have been a different story.

"At times, we took some risks by pushing men forward. But we were wary because Rangers were so strong and they were also very good in the air.

"We knew Rangers were a good team. I think we worked as hard as possible and our team spirit was good too.

"The group is very open and we knew it would be like that as soon as the draw was made. It has four very competitive teams. It will go right to the last game."

And Porto goalscorer Luis Diaz was impressed with his Colombian international team-mate Alfredo Morelos after the Rangers in-form striker cancelled out his fantastic opener.

He said: "Morelos had a great game and scored a good goal. But I thought we had enough opportunities to win.

"We knew all about Rangers' quality before the game. They are very tough and they have quality players.

"I think we showed the correct attitude though. It's a really tight group and we will have to play well to qualify."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4877445/pepe-rangers-porto-very-strong-morelos-europa-league/