A change from last season

Last year we seemed to struggle against the lower teams of the SPL, but this season a pattern already seems to be setting in against the teams from the top half.

The first game or 2 was looked at as one-off's but taking this approach is dangerous simply because we can all see problems in our play.

Take away our fantastic CL results, the hard work and good start to the SPL may have to be done again.

We didnt show up at Tynecastle, had an off day at Motherwell and then lost against Hibs. Yet we had a few reminders last season about this kind of results. We have Celtic followed by Dundee Utd and that will be the first round of games complete. Over a season we can drop points but we cant drop points in around 40% of our games in each quarter. Now getting something from this first OF match of the season is vital, as we just dont want to have to play catch up again from October.

If we are going to have squad rotation then why cant we also have formation and tactics rotation.

Looking at our squad, I still think its the best in the country and easily the most depth but we need to play to our strengths. We have attack minded young talent that arent being given a chance. I really think the only problem we have is not setting the stall out right in these type games.

I dont mind the 4-5-1 as long as it can be changed onto a 4-3-3 on attack or even a 4-2-4.

Id still also like to see JCD strike up a partnership with Cousin but if they are out and Smith wants to play Boyd upfront in a 4-5-1 then why doesnt he give this a try:

______________McGregor____________

Hutton____Weir_______Cuellar____Papac

____Ferguson___Buffel____Hemdani____

___Novo________Boyd_______Naismith

You could swap Naismith with McCulloch or Gow but either one of these players and Novo will get back and form the 4-5-1 again, but that team is attack minded and surely too good for most SPL sides.

I dont mind the 4-5-1 as long as it can be changed onto a 4-3-3 on attack or even a 4-2-4.

That is imperative for a 4-5-1 that you have speed to change to attack,

That has been the much loved Ajax system for years.

The difference is that you have to have two wingers that are willing to trace back and not two midfielders that struggle to get forward.