Ronnie Mackinnon Chapter in New Book

The new book on Carloway Football Club contains a chapter on the late Ronnie Mackinnon which covers his time with Carloway, Rangers and Scotland. In a recent interview for the book, the Rangers legend talked about his time at Ibrox including the story of how he got signed by Scott Symon shortly after playing for Carloway in the Lewis and Harris Football League. Ronnie had some good tales to tell including yarns about Greig, Baxter, Puskas and Pele as well as about the time he spent in his mother's hometown of Carloway.

The book ‘Ninety Years On: The Story of Carloway Football Club 1933 to 2023’ is available for £25 (including post and packaging) from the following link: 

https://buy.stripe.com/fZeeXfgZdgm5dna001

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Graeme Miller said:

Haha there's lots of stories about West Side in the book and they don't all involve losing to Carloway! 😉

Well, you've got to extend the potential readership somehow and what better way than to include the Champions in it... 

Seriously though, I didn't know about this book, good luck with it, it looks like a real labour of love. 

I wish the book and club every success.

The tome looks like a cracking festive read and the perfect tonic to accompany a glass of Harris Gin.

Throughout my professional life, I carried a battered copy of Neil Munro's 'Para Handy Tales'. A training area wood line, a range complex slit trench or, waiting for a pre-jump C-130; release Neil's words from it's plastic protection and, find yourself in a better place. There is a little known tale of FC Vital Spark being drawn away to Carloway in the Hochmagandy Cup. Para held the tiller steady. Dan MacPhail was akin to a Perkins, going up'n'doon and roon'n'roon in midfield. Sunny Jim's pre match ritual of running the Cuillin peaks and swimming the Minch kept him quiet during the goalless first half. He recovered in the second period and ran in a hat-trick. If Dougie was here, he wid tell ye himself.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Graeme Miller said:

The Hochmagandy Cup sounds like the very one for Carloway FC!

I believe Peat and Diesel are eulogising, 'the Hochmagandy Cup' on their next album.

Come on Boydie light my byre.