1 hour ago, compo said:

We will never know how great he would have been but Bobby Charlton said he was the best he’d ever played with or seen Duncan Edwards

Immaculate turnout, as you would expect, apart from the finger ring and the non-standard issue wristwatch.

I won’t argue with Charlton. Eddie Colman was the other half back. Perfect combination. 

14 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Immaculate turnout, as you would expect, apart from the finger ring and the non-standard issue wristwatch.

I won’t argue with Charlton. Eddie Colman was the other half back. Perfect combination. 

Great picture shows pride in his caps and his uniform I don't think today's lads would show that pride 

He might not be a past hero but one thing you couldn’t take from him was his heart if only yesterday’s players had a smidgeon of his heart they might make the grade as footballers by the way he’s looked on as a legend at Birmingham City big John Rodger Shankly Hynd .

I've been reading Jonathan Wilson's book, The Names Heard Long Ago.

The history of modern football was born in the coffee houses of Budapest. 

It was inspired by the short passing game in Scotland, which was brought to MTK Budapest by Englishman Jimmy Hogan and Scot John Tait Robertson (who played for Rangers).

Hungarian coaches like Imre Hirschl, Árpád Weisz, Bela Guttmann and Gusztáv Sebes took their tactical ideas to Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, across Europe and the Americas.

The greatest example of these tactical ideas was the golden team, but what many thought was the beginning of an era was actually the end of over 50 years of development.

Golden_Team_1953.jpg.f5f705ad99b9949e268f2351cfa88cd3.jpg

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I've been reading Jonathan Wilson's book, The Names Heard Long Ago.

The history of modern football was born in the coffee houses of Budapest. 

It was inspired by the short passing game in Scotland, which was brought to MTK Budapest by Englishman Jimmy Hogan and Scot John Tait Robertson (who played for Rangers).

Hungarian coaches like Imre Hirschl, Árpád Weisz, Bela Guttmann and Gusztáv Sebes took their tactical ideas to Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, across Europe and the Americas.

The greatest example of these tactical ideas was the golden team, but what many thought was the beginning of an era was actually the end of over 50 years of development.

Golden_Team_1953.jpg.f5f705ad99b9949e268f2351cfa88cd3.jpg

This was were you got the deep lying centre forward Don Revie a prime example 

Jimmy Hogan is a fascinating figure:

'Hogan believed that possession-based football was the answer, but that it must be founded upon constant passing and movement, and added versatility in his players and increased fitness that would allow them to bamboozle an opponent with the fluidity of their attacking moves.

'In 2012, Spanish magazine Panenka published a pedigree of several influential managers and teams from the 1910s to the 2010s—such as the Brazil national team of the 1950s and Pep Guardiola—placing Hogan as its progenitor; Hogan created a direct lineage for modern football tactics. Influenced by Burnley-born manager Harry Bradshaw and his adoption of the Scottish combination game, Hogan was directly responsible for the coaching foundations of two of the most influential footballing sides in history – Austria's Wunderteam and Hungary's Golden Team.

'Hogan is credited with the revolution in European football that saw Hungary defeat England 6–3 at Wembley in 1953, ushering a new football era. After the match, Sándor Barcs, then president of the Hungarian Football Federation, said to the press: "Jimmy Hogan taught us everything we know about football."

'Helmut Schön, 1974 FIFA World Cup-winning manager, whom Hogan lectured in Germany, stated: "I greatly admired Jimmy and always regarded him as a shining example of the coaching profession. In my lectures to coaches today I still mention his name frequently".

'Gusztáv Sebes stated: "We played football as Jimmy Hogan taught us. When our football history is told, his name should be written in gold letters". After his death in 1974, the head of the German Football Association labelled Hogan as "the father of football in modern Germany".'

It's crazy to think that the Scottish passing and combination game of that time was virtually the basis of the Mighty Magyars, Dutch Total Football and Cruff, to Barcelona and Guardiola. And yet we're still stuck with an out-dated game. 

In his book, Jonathan Wilson compares the way in which football was discussed in Budapest and Britain: In Britain, football was discussed in pubs by men standing up with a pint in their hand. In the coffee house, customers sat down at a table, and so it became possible to illustrate tactical arguments using simple props, like a cup, a spoon or sugar bowl. It's a short step from that level of abstract thought to drawing diagrams and formations - something that would have seemed preposterous in Britain. 

Herbert Chapman found that push back when he organised tactical discussions. 

I believe there's still a lot of that push back today - 'Laptop manager'? Sure, criticise results, but engage with the ideas.