Four points clear again then. After a couple of unconvincing but completely imperative away victories, is the league in the bag or are some bears counting their chickens a little bit too early?

Certainly I can understand why some will be feeling confident. The wins achieved last week were the kind of games we just haven�t secured three points in recent years. All too often we drop points in games against so-called lesser opposition in matches where more brawn than skill is required. As such, while we�d all like to see silky soccer and three goal wins, sometimes one just has to settle for keeping possession and relying on our strikers taking their chances when they come. Thus, although we could easily have dropped four points against Gretna and Caley, the team should be praised for working hard and securing wins in these difficult matches. Especially when one considers our enforced fortnight break which was always going to affect our sharpness and fluency.

The next month will be huge in terms of determining our success this season. We have matches in all four competitions and the outcome of these games will show just how capable we are of competing on all fronts. For most Rangers fans the SPL title will take obvious precedence over the UEFA and domestic cups. At the same time though, we�ve not won a thing for nearly three years so we should rightly be looking to win everything. That may not be realistic (especially in European terms) but our ambitions should be high and when we have played well this season we have competed with the very best Europe has to offer.

To be able to do this we�ll need a strong squad with reserve players capable of coming in. Losing the outstanding Kevin Thomson for the next 6 weeks is a big blow and we can ill-afford further injuries in central midfield. Barry Ferguson has not had his best season but has shown signs of a return to form lately. Similarly, Brahim Hemdani offers a composed holding player and his class shines through on most stages. Losing either of these players in conjunction with Thomson could be a fatal blow even if Dean Furman is impressing at reserve level.

As such, with ten days to the closure of the transfer window, I�d be looking for Walter Smith to strengthen this area. Rumours are rife about who is leaving and who may be joining. Hutton, Cousin and Buffel all said to be on their way out while Larsen and Moore apparently close to coming in. All things considered, continuity must take precedence over money but if Hutton especially is to leave, this bear would like to see a significant portion of any transfer income invested into a new creative midfield player. For most of the season we�ve lacked such a player so if we could secure one (even better if they�re left-sided) that could not only provide the spark the team needs but the depth talked about above.

Similarly, Ugo Ehiogu has moved back south, so another centre-half is still appealing. Carlos Cuellar has proven a snip at �£2.3million so if we could spend this kind of cash on another similar player, this would bode well for our title challenge. Davie Weir has done very well but has also shown glimpses of poor form, while his lack of pace and deep positioning does affect the team tactically. If Andy Webster can prove his fitness then he could save us money but relying on him is rather risky given his record and contract problems.

The reason Iââ?¬â?¢m perhaps being overly analytical here is that I genuinely feel we are only two or three players away from having a real decent side. Considering the average age of the squad, the relative inexperience of some, the Scottish backbone and the potential to improve, a reasonable financial investment into the team could yield real dividends. Ã?£12million was spent in the summer ââ?¬â?? a fair amount in todayââ?¬â?¢s SPL financial climate ââ?¬â?? but if we could spend some more now (but only on the right players) such a gamble could bring the SPL title home to Ibrox and provide the foundations for more success to come.

To conclude, we are more than capable of winning the SPL (and more). However, we should not rest on the laurels of a four-point gap and if SDM is serious about the club�s long term future, further investment is required to maximise our chances of bringing the successful times back. Public sound-bites and moonbeams about regeneration and stadium redevelopment may be exciting and ambitious but first and foremost I want to see Barry Ferguson lift the SPL league trophy in May.

Then we can decide on how to build further on this and finally take Rangers FC into the new millennium.

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=581&Itemid=1

With the previous two games performance I owuld not be happy letting Hutton go, unless SW can replicate Hutton's marauding runs from full back, as he did for his former club.

Totally agree with what you say though. The makings of a very good side, minus one or two players.

Understand your doubt about Whittaker mate. I certainly sure your caution with regard to his inconsistent contribution so far.

In saying that being moved about from right midfield, left back and now right back can't be helping the lad in his first 5 months at the club. Certainly it's taken Hutton 4 years to achieve the kind of level we'd like to see from all our players. As such, Whittaker needs our backing to help him move towards that goal.

In terms of continuity, I'd much prefer Hutton stays. However, the argument regarding the fee offered and using it to improve the whole team is a strong one.

Unfortunately, I'm unsure at this stage, as to how much of the ~�£10million Walter would get of the potential Hutton/Cousin/Buffel cash. Certainly, with the debt in mind, all of it may not be realistic, but half of it should be.

I agree with that mate.

The strange thing about Whittaker is he arguably impressed me more in filling in at LB than he did in his favoured position in the past few games.

I expect this may be due to the pressure he put himself under knowing that performances in the two games Hutton was suspended would need to be exceptional to have any chance of keeping Hutton out. Even then it would be highly unlikely. Perhaps if he had been able to play without this pressure it would have freed him up to play like the attacking almost Hutton-esque RB he was at Hibs.

I imagine Hutton will go eventually and then Whittaker will be able to make the position his own. However keeping Hutton until the summer could be essential in the chase for silverware.