WALTER SMITH has urged the Rangers paymasters to give Kirk Broadfoot the new improved deal he deserves.

Broadfoot�s Ibrox contract runs out at the end of next season. But Smith wants the full-back, left, tied up NOW to keep predators away.

Birmingham City are keeping tabs on his situation and SunSport revealed this week they are preparing a �£2million swoop.

But Smith admits the former St Mirren skipper has earned a pay rise.

The gaffer said: ââ?¬Å?An improved deal? In all probability that will come.

ââ?¬Å?Kirk had a really good season last year and has cemented that this year.

ââ?¬Å?In the past he was inconsistent, but heââ?¬â?¢s settled down now.ââ?¬Â

SunSport also revealed this week that Stevie Smith feared his Ibrox career was over.

The left-back thought he wasnââ?¬â?¢t wanted, but Smith insisted: ââ?¬Å?I spoke to Stevie and he might have misunderstood what I said to him.

ââ?¬Å?He is playing reserve games and thatââ?¬â?¢s doing him no good whatsoever.

ââ?¬Å?I spoke to him about going out on loan and getting games under his belt ââ?¬â? then weââ?¬â?¢ll all have a better chance to judge where he is and whether he can return to the team.

ââ?¬Å?In my 20-odd months here heââ?¬â?¢s managed just two games and he wasnââ?¬â?¢t match-fit for them.

ââ?¬Å?Weââ?¬â?¢ve never seen the best of the lad, so the idea was to get him on loan and let him play.ââ?¬Â

Smith also insisted he does NOT want to sell midfielder Kevin Thompson in January, with West Brom boss Tony Mowbray keen on his old Hibs star.

Smith added: ââ?¬Å?We have two months before the transfer window opens up ââ?¬â? I donââ?¬â?¢t have a thought yet about what will happen.

ââ?¬Å?I want our good players here and we need them for the future when the number of games will hopefully increase.

ââ?¬Å?A few players may leave, but it wonââ?¬â?¢t be the ones I see as being capable of taking us forward.ââ?¬Â

Rangers face Caley at Ibrox today, with skipper Barry Ferguson set for a top-team return.

Smith can�t wait to team him with Pedro Mendes in a dream midfield.

He said: ââ?¬Å?Barry is in our thoughts. Heââ?¬â?¢s ready after a reserve game. Itââ?¬â?¢s just up to me now to decide how best he should be introduced.

ââ?¬Å?We have five games in the space of a couple of weeks and we want everyone involved.

ââ?¬Å?Weââ?¬â?¢ll be able to get Barry back to full match fitness quite quickly.

ââ?¬Å?The midfield is an area where I want players who are all good at keeping the ball. I am looking forward to seeing how they all gel.

ââ?¬Å?Barry and Pedro are good midfielders and both have the capability of being attacking players or they can drop deeper.

ââ?¬Å?I have no fears about them complementing each other.

ââ?¬Å?I always feel that Kevin ââ?¬â? although he doesnââ?¬â?¢t get the write-ups ââ?¬â? also does very well for us in there.ââ?¬Â

Kyle Lafferty, meanwhile, has been urged to remain patient.

The young Northern Ireland star was signed as a striker, but has been forced to play in midfield.

Smith added: ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s been a sticky start for Kyle in the sense that injuries have upset his rhythm.

ââ?¬Å?I hope he settles down now and weââ?¬â?¢ll see a lot more of him in the future.

ââ?¬Å?Although he has played most of his football wide on the left for us and Burnley, I still see him as a central striker in the longer term.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢d like to see him get more experience there.ââ?¬Â

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/article1880563.ece

Beginning to get to the bottom of what went on between Smith and Smith, Walter and Stevie then.

Appears Stevie must have gone to the press seeking a move after "misunderstanding" Walter. Hopefully a loan spell gives him the chance to show what he can do and returns as strong as before.

Nice one im glad big Broadie is getting a new contract he gotta be one of the most improved players in the squad even tho he still cant take a shy ahhaha

Stevie smith needs a move on loan me thinks or his rangers career is over cos i cant see him getting in ahead of papac.