By Andrew Dickson

PEDRO MENDES is confident he and Barry Ferguson can strike up a partnership to remember at the heart of the Rangers midfield.

The duo started alongside each other for the first time in the 0-0 draw with Motherwell at Fir Park on Wednesday night.

Barry FergusonThey showed in spells that they can be a big hit as a pairing, despite the fact Gers were held by the Steelmen in the end.

Whether they get to team up again when St Mirren visit Ibrox tomorrow is unclear, with Walter Smith still to decide if he will risk starting Ferguson.

It could be that after five months out with an ankle injury, the Light Blues and Scotland skipper is put on the bench instead so that he isn't rushed into playing too frequently.

Either way, Mendes is sure they can gel over time and make a big impact as the Ibrox men challenge for the SPL title.

The Portuguese star said: "Barry is a fantastic footballer. I've seen him at Murray Park in the last three or four weeks as he has come back to training.

"Now it is all about him getting his fitness up because he has been away and out of the team for a while.

"It is very good to have him back and I don't think him and I gelling is going to be an issue.

"There has to be an understanding between all 11 players on the pitch and everyone must be aware of what they have to do.

"If you are talking about Fergie and I, we, as midfielders, know what our jobs are so it's not a problem.

"We are an attacking team so if we both like to press forward, that's not a bad thing. Besides, a team such as Rangers can't drop off and wait for other teams to come at us.Pedro Mendes

"Barry and I just need to play together. It was our first time against Motherwell and the understanding will come. We will get even better and it's just a matter of time."

Mendes is not worried by the fact Rangers trail Celtic in the league table despite beating them 4-2 at Parkhead in August.

Indeed, he is perfectly relaxed about the situation and remains confident the deficit is something he and his team-mates can overcome.

The former Portsmouth and Spurs star added: "There is a four-point gap but there is still a long way to go.

"We are not happy with dropping some points lately, even though Dundee United and Motherwell played well against us, but there is plenty of time left.

"A lot of games have still to be played, including three between us and Celtic, and everything is still very open.

"In my opinion, we are playing very good football and we just need to be a bit more clinical in front of goal and tighter defensively. That will come."