By Andrew Dickson

BARRY FERGUSON has vowed to make his doubters eat their words after stinging criticism left him more determined than ever to shine for Rangers.

The club captain has constantly found himself under the microscope ever since he came back into the first team at the start of November.

Barry Ferguson, RangersAfter five months out injured, the skipper made a slow start on his return to action and has had people questioning whether he can still be a key player for the club.

They've also queried whether he and Pedro Mendes can gel at the heart of Walter Smith's midfield - and the signs are finally there that they can.

The pair performed well in the 2-2 draw with Dundee United on Saturday and Ferguson is starting to get back to his best again.

He has always insisted it will take him time to hit top form again and as the weeks have progressed, that has proved to be the case.

Now, having heard from some that he's a spent force, he's eager to show he still has what it takes to lead by example.

Ferguson said: "People perhaps don't realise how much being out for as long as I have holds you back when you start to return.

"You're well behind everybody and it's a really slow build-up when you take the first steps towards the team again.

"It takes a long time to get your sharpness back and that has been the case with me over the first few games.

"I'm always open for criticism if I'm not fully up to speed but I've said all along that it'll take me a few matches to catch up with the rest of the squad.

"It has been frustrating for me knowing I've had to wait and be patient as I've tried to get to the level I should be at.Barry Ferguson

"Now I feel I'm getting towards it and that I'm coming out of the other side. I'm a strong character and in the weeks to come, I'll shut my critics up.

"The thing is I've been finished two or three times already according to some people. Being told the same thing once more doesn't make any difference to me.

"It's what I do on the park now that counts and I'll prove those people wrong, there's no doubt about that.

"Everybody's got their opinion. I heard these sort of things when I came back from my last ankle operation and for my first month back in the team, some said I'd lost it.

"A couple of months later, I started to play the way I should have been and everything that had happened in the past was forgotten about.

"These things stick in my mind. I'm here to show that folk are wrong with what they've been saying and I'll do that, have no doubt. I'll make them eat their words."