Supporters' Representation - Your Opinions Analysed

Onto the final part of our supportersââ?¬â?¢ representation debate ââ?¬â?? this week weââ?¬â?¢re analysing the results of our simple survey and taking the conclusions from them in conjunction with the comments from Jim Templeton and John MacMillan. Please note 68 people took part in the survey and weââ?¬â?¢ll represent their answers to each question as a percentage.

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=721&Itemid=2

I wouldn't have thought that a survey of only 68 fans was adequate to draw any conclusions from. However two results do intrigue me.

The first is that 60% of any sample could possibly claim membership of the dreadful RST, let alone "active" membership. Especially when I'm informed that total current RST membership is less than 2.5% of an Ibrox crowd.

The second is that 80% do not feel they are adequately represented by the three organisations mentioned. Perhaps the 60% active RST members aren't quite active enough.;)

I wonder who the 68 chums could have been?

68 people isn't a great number. Unfortunately, despite the survey appearing on NewsNow, we can't force people to take part.

It does give some interesting answers though - in an empirical sense as stated clearly at the outset - which are worth discussing. Another site (RangersMedia) has also today published the survey with around another 40 responses so far so that takes us over 100.

The survey was done more to gauge general opinions rather than take some sort of scientific poll to minute levels. I'm comfortable enough with the results and can only lament that the official organisations involved seem incapable of organising something similar in order to achieve improvement in the area.

Gersnet is always looking to catalyse debate and the last year has seen supporters' representation stagnate for disappointing reasons so we hoped a simple survey would perhaps awaken some people from their comfort zones.

At least we can say we tried.

:)

It obviously depends on the definition of "active". I believe you have said that you are a life-member of the RST, so you could be described as active, rather than a lapsed member?

Nope, I paid my life membership before it became obvious those running the Trust hadn't the backbone of a jellyfish. Now I'd rather gnaw my right hand off than have anything to do with that failed organisation.

Nevertheless, it beggars belief that 41 out of any 68 supporters on the planet could be RST members, active or not. Slightly selective sampling perhaps?

No, not selective sampling.... :D

The survey was posted on the main site and anyone could vote. Perhaps some read it wrong and thought it meant 'have you been an active member' as opposed 'are you currently'...?

Remember, generally speaking, Trust members are perhaps more of the committed fans interested in representation so such a survey on the wires might attract their online members.

40 out of 1000+ members isn't too out of synch considering the poll is aimed at such people and many Trust members (past or present) are active online.

Perhaps those that care enough to join the RST are the one who care enough to fill out surveys.

Those who cant be bothered with joining the trust are maybe also less inclined to fill out surveys.

Perhaps theres a link between the two. Maybe not. Who can say.

No, not selective sampling.... :D

The survey was posted on the main site and anyone could vote. Perhaps some read it wrong and thought it meant 'have you been an active member' as opposed 'are you currently'...?

Remember, generally speaking, Trust members are perhaps more of the committed fans interested in representation so such a survey on the wires might attract their online members.

40 out of 1000+ members isn't too out of synch considering the poll is aimed at such people and many Trust members (past or present) are active online.

So it wasn't "sampling" at all. It was a case of this survey exists, who wants to complete it? You see, it's not a case of 40 out of 1000+ RST members, it's 40 out of a couple of hundred thousand Rangers supporters.

In any case, the outcome is all the more of a condemnation for being skewed in favour of members of the very organisations being judged. I doubt if there is a larger support anywhere that is so fragmented and ill-represented.

Nope, I paid my life membership before it became obvious those running the Trust hadn't the backbone of a jellyfish. Now I'd rather gnaw my right hand off than have anything to do with that failed organisation.

Nevertheless, it beggars belief that 41 out of any 68 supporters on the planet could be RST members, active or not. Slightly selective sampling perhaps?

But you're still a member. ;)

I doubt if there is a larger support anywhere that is so fragmented and ill-represented.

I agree - hence the reason for trying to pro-actively obtain some feedback.

Of course it shouldn't be small unofficial forums doing this kind of thing but it's interesting nonetheless.

You're obviously interested in the subject. Why not write us an article on what kind of organisation you'd like to see?