Is the versatility of modern-day attackers a blessing or a curse? Walter Smith would probably sway towards the former after restoring Nacho Novo to a frontline striking position on Tuesday night and then reaping the benefits as the Spaniard scored twice against Falkirk to help Rangers through to the Co-operative Insurance Cup Final.

How to get the best out of Novo and several of his team-mates, though, is a quandary that must regularly test the Rangers manager. Within the current squad, only Kris Boyd could be labelled a traditional centre-forward whose remit is to patrol the penalty box, engage in combat with opposition centre-halves, and score as often as possible.

The remainder of Rangers' attackers can not be so easily pigeonholed. Novo, Kenny Miller, John Fleck, Steven Naismith, and Kyle Lafferty have all been deployed in numerous positions dependent on the resources available to Smith, the nature of the opposition, and the team's formation.

advertisement

Having more clearly defined roles would benefit both club and player, according to Kevin Drinkell, the former Rangers centre-forward now director of football with 110sport Management.

"I always have a laugh at the philosophy of some players when they say they like to play in the hole," Drinkell said. "There were no holes when I played, except at some of the old grounds. It's an imaginary area.

"It's players saying they don't want to have the responsibility of scoring goals but would like to sometimes; they don't want the responsibility of winning possession but claim they will be really effective if they are allowed to do what they want to do. It's a bit of a cop-out for me. Players need to decide what their best roles are and how they can be most effective for the team."

# Nacho Novo 29

Novo arrived from Dundee in 2004 and struck up a productive partnership with Dado Prso, scoring 25 goals as Rangers claimed the SPL title. In recent seasons he has been used more sparingly, often wide on the right of midfield.

"I still think Nacho is one of those really good acquisitions for a club where you just bring him in now and again," said Drinkell. "I don't think if you played him in 40 games a season you would get 40 good performances. He went through a stage last year where he would come off the bench and cause problems, earn his place in the starting XI, and then fade away. I'm sure it's not how he sees himself, but he's more of an impact player rather than someone who could play every week. He's coming towards the end of his career and still doesn't know his best position."

# Kenny Miller 29

After initially thriving as a traditional centre-forward at Hibernian, Miller has since been used more often than not, both for his club sides and for his country, as a willing foil for a more direct striker or as a lone attacker in difficult matches away from home.

"I think it's important to build up striking partnerships as you don't get that chance too often these days with most clubs having rotation systems and managers changing shape for away games and things like that," said Drinkell. "For me, you can't build up that rapport if you don't play week in, week out together and, although Kenny was out the team the other night, we've seen that he and Kris Boyd seem to work well together. The most important thing is building that understanding between the two men in attack."

# Steven Naismith 22

Naismith's versatility was first realised at Kilmarnock where he was used as a centre-forward, on either flank, or as an attacking midfielder. Injuries have curtailed his involvement since switching to Rangers.

"I'm a big admirer of Steven as a footballer, but he's another one that has to decide what position he wants to be," said Drinkell. "He's got pace and can use a bit of trickery, but there's a different art in going out there and standing with your back to goal and playing as a striker. You don't necessarily have to be physically strong to do the role. There are some centre-forwards who cause problems by coming deep, spinning and going long which is still as effective. Steven is still young, but I still see it a lot in players between 16 and 21 where they aren't properly learning the position they would like to play."

# Kyle Lafferty 21

Lafferty arrived last summer from Burnley, where he was used primarily as a left-sided midfielder, although he traditionally plays through the middle for Northern Ireland.

"He's another one that's got the dilemma of whether he's a front player or a wide player. He has to learn his trade," said Drinkell. "If it's to be up front, then go and play 20 to 30 games as a centre-forward, even if it's reserve-team football, and learn the art. If it's to be a winger then go and sit yourself on the touchline, get on the ball, take full-backs on and develop your crossing. The halfway house is no use. I made my debut at 16 for Grimsby Town as a centre-forward and every day I did my best to improve my knowledge of that position, how to win a header or how to lose a marker in the box. I dedicated myself to that position. Now it's a bit like five-a-sides all the time and players just play where they want."

# John Fleck 17

The great hope of the Rangers' academy has been gradually introduced to the first team as a left-sided midfielder although he also has the ability to play as an attacking midfielder or as a striker.

"What he needs is someone to decide for him how they see his future developing," said Drinkell. "They have to say, you're going to be a centre midfielder that bombs on and joins the forwards, a centre-forward that can play with your back to goal, or a wide player who gets down the wings. Rather than trying to do it all, it would be better if he could be fantastic at just one thing."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2485310.0.Rangers_attackers_need_to_play_leading_role.php

It's easy to agree with much of what he says.

However some of his comments show that his opinions are influenced from his own playing era.

For example there are numerous players who "play in the hole" who were world class and would not put much stock in Drinkell's opinions.