by Thomas Jordan

PEDRO MENDES today shot down fears he could have left Rangers in the transfer window.

The Portuguese midfielder was the subject of a late move from Bolton, who were prepared to pay upwards of �£3.5million for his services.

But having just arrived in Glasgow from Portsmouth in the summer, the 30-year-old held talks with chairman Sir David Murray a couple of weeks ago and told him he was not interested in leaving - despite the club's need to sell.

Mendes said: "There was a lot of speculation during January, but it is closed now and we are looking forward to the rest of the season.

advertisement

"On my part and the club's part there was a clear intention for me to stay. That's what I will say about my own situation."

Mendes believes that with the cloud of uncertainty now lifted from Ibrox, the squad can focus on challenging Celtic for the Treble.

He added: "We have a great chance to win the title now. There has been a bit of doubt in the air recently because of all the speculation so I'm sure everyone is pleased that is finished now."

Before Rangers get back to domestic business in the Homecoming Scottish Cup at Forfar this Sunday, they have a glamour friendly against AC Milan at Ibrox tomorrow night.

Having been deprived of European football due to the disastrous KO in Kaunas back in August, the match against David Beckham and Co at least gives the fans a chance to see some big names close up.

Mendes said: "It's a great game for us to look forward to as they are a fantasic side with some of the best players in the game.

"Not having European football has been a big loss for us, and the main thing is we get it back next season. But this is a game to relish."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2486699.0.0.php