ARCHIE CAMPBELL has recently watched on as Gers teammate John Fleck forced his way in to Walter Smith's first-team plans and the young striker hopes to follow in his friend's footsteps in the not too distant future.

Archie CampbellCampbell has been in electric form for Billy Kirkwood's under-19s this season, scoring 13 goals in 16 starts, and his ability to hit the net has kept his side in the chase for another domestic double.

The Fife-born hitman joined Rangers at the tender age of 14 and came through the ranks with Fleck at club and international level.

The pair featured for Scotland's U16s in the Victory Shield and were being touted as two of the most promising players in the country at that time.

While Fleck has shot to stardom in 2009 Campbell has been continuing his development with the 19s and doing his best to impress so that he can take the next step in his blossoming career.

At 17 he has plenty of time on his side but Archie admits he would love to be one of the next players from the under-19 squad to be drafted in to the top-team.

He said: "I think the young players at the club have really been given a chance by the manager recently which is great.

"Flecky, of course, has been brilliant but we have also seen the likes of Danny Wilson and Jamie Ness on the bench and they are only 17.

"I am roughly the same age as them so hopefully if I can keep scoring goals I might get a chance in the future.

"We will wait and see what happens but I think there is a big opportunity for all the players right now. Archie Campbell

"Flecky has shown what can be achieved if you work hard, show the right attitude and impress the coaches here."

Archie's pace and ability to find the net made him a stand-out as he progressed through the ranks at Murray Park.

These attributes have again been evident in 2008/09 and he bagged a double against Hamilton Accies on Saturday to add to his impressive tally this season.

He said: "I have been pleased with the way I have played this season and hopefully I am improving all the time.

"I have managed to get a few goals and still have another year wit the 19s so I am happy with that but I know I need to keep working hard on every part of my game.

"Right now I am trying to get stronger by working in the gym with the physios and this will help me a lot on the pitch."

Rangers will take on Inverness Caley Thistle in the semi-final stage of the SFA Youth Cup on March 29 after the Highland Jags beat Old Firm rivals Celtic in a dramatic penalty shoot-out at the Tulloch Stadium.

The tie will give the Murray Park starlets another chance to run out at Ibrox Stadium and Archie is not surprised to be facing Caley for a place in the final.

He said: "I think most people thought that would be up against Celtic but I knew it was going to be a tough game for them.

Archie Campbell"Caley made it difficult for us earlier in the season and I am sure they will do that again when they come to Glasgow later in the month.

"But we are at home and the holders of the Cup so we will be confident going in to it and have a good chance of going through.

"It's great the game is at Ibrox and we all want to get to the final at Hampden. Hopefully we can do that."

The 19s have now extended their lead at the top of the league to four points after closest rivals Hibs drew with Celtic and Rangers romped to a 4-0 win over Hamilton on Sunday.

Despite having a young squad Archie is confident his team have the quality and character to win the title again this season.

He added: "The team have done great so far but we have to keep it going.

"We still have a lot of big games coming up and need to have the right attitude going in to every one.

"We are a young group of players but we are confident going in to every game and always think we can get three points."

The 19s next match is against Dundee United on Saturday at Thomson Park, Dundee, kick-off 1pm.