And I can’t believe that I’m typing this, we are now the only team able to win the domestic treble. Even after the Inverness debacle, we are still in pole position to land a historic eighth treble and the quest for this treble begins in earnest today. The CO-OP Cup Final has come under various guises over the years, but it is a tournament that has been very kind to us and one that we have been very successful in over the years. On Sunday we will be aiming to win the league cup for a record breaking 26th time. The first official Scottish League Cup was contested in season 1946-47 and we defeated Aberdeen in the Hampden final.

Whilst Sunday gives us the opportunity to win the first leg of the treble, it could also give us a psychological boost for the remainder of the league campaign where we have slipped to second favourites after the terrible league performance last Wednesday against ICT at Ibrox. Once again, a diabolical substitution cost us a vital three points in the race for the title. Instead of making a straight swap – Fleck off and Aaron on, Walter Smith decides to replace Edu (one of our better performers on the night) with Lafferty, a change that required four players moving positions and resulted in us losing all momentum that eventually cost us the three points.

Sunday will also give an indication as to how the remainder of the season will pan out player / tactics wise. It is a cup final, a one off occasion so you would expect out management team to select a team to win the trophy, rather than a team not to lose the game. The same can be said for the remaining league games. We are now three points behind so the emphasis is on us to win all our remaining SPL games to ensure that the league title comes home to Ibrox. I for one am not confident of the above. I fully expect a 4-5-1 today and can imagine Walter resorting to this formation in the SPL, especially on our travels. The players and management have shown a lack of belief and courage when it was required most. We have been given ample opportunities to cement our place at the top of the SPL, but every-time these opportunities present themselves, we shoot ourselves in the foot. The only consolation is that today’s opposition are as bad as we are. Take out their 7-1 drubbing of St Mirren then their recent form is actually worse than ours.

Our ability to win the SPL this season takes on extra significance given the perilous financial situation that we find ourselves in. Another season without Champions League money is unthinkable, so winning the SPL is a must (both financially and more importantly, to stop them from making it four in a row) and the warning shots have been fired. No matter what trophies we happen to win this season, we will be selling at least eight players in the summer. Fail to reach the Champions League, this number may rise. This again is unthinkable as this would further weaken our squad thus making it harder to mount a domestic challenge next season – it’s the classic snowball effect of downsizing. We are in pole position in the Scottish Cup given Celtc’s loss to St Mirren at the weekend, a result that should have lifted our collective spirits as once again, it showed how ordinary a team that they are. Faced with pace and physical presence they struggle (were you watching Mr Smith?).

I would gladly give up the two domestic cups to ensure that we win the SPL. That would be hard to take admittedly, especially given Sunday’s opponents. It is always unbearable losing to them, but losing to them in a final hurts even more (see below). The league is the priority, but today, lets enjoy our day in the sun (hopefully) and lets get the Old Lady rocking.

Cammy F - :rfc:

Edited by Super_Ally

For a minute there I thought I had slept in and missed a couple of days :-]

I was going to post this on Sunday but decided to post it early and forgot to edit it....

Cammy F - Lazy Ass Loyal RSC

I was going to post this on Sunday but decided to post it early and forgot to edit it....

Cammy F - Lazy Ass Loyal RSC

Aye, only joking Cammy, good write up as usual, plus no doubt you will have other things on your mind come Sunday :rfc:

Should have got Cammy to write the intro of the preview for me. :thup:

I do (kind of) agree about foregoing the two cups in preference of the SPL title, however I don't know if I will be able to be so pragmatic come Sunday.

In any case, lets just win all 3! :rfc:

I'll post Saturdays lottery numbers later this evening :box::whistle::)

Cammy F

I'd like to offer you a job but you'll know that anyway. Obviously you'll aready know the salary and benefits so I'm sure you're impressed. If you just let me know your first year contribution, we can talk about bonus.:devil: