Following Richard McBrearty's kind submission to the STS project, I thought I'd return the favour by visiting the Hampden Museum yesterday.

Firstly, parking is obviously not a problem as there is loads of space outside the main stand of Hampden, where the museum is housed, although I'd recommend driving in via Aikenhead Road rather than Cathcart Road, as I did.

The cost is �£6 for either the museum entrance or the stadium tour, or �£9 for both. Half price for U16s. I didn't feel ripped off at these prices.

First thing that you notice when you enter the museum is a tribute to Walter Tull, which was a nice touch, and one I enjoyed given the Rangers connection.

The museum takes up a lot of space, and there is plenty of room to wonder aroud. I'll not detail all the exhibits, but there are plenty of interest, including one of the UEFA Cup final with a Rangers and Zenit tops from the game, and even the unique ticket stub, which brought back the joy of actually having it in my hand for the first time.

There are a number of videos including one which gave some highlights of big games, including the old firm game where Grant, Hurlock, Walters and Hateley got sent off. that would certainly give overseas visitors a taste of the old firm passion.

There is an inter-active section for the Hall of fame which is useful as it gives the background for the entrants on a video which is more user-friendly for younger people who may not know who the likes of Mr Struth are.

There is also a section where kids can play on Playstations if they start to get a bit bored.

The stadium tours are at set times. the museum wasn't busy, for a Sunday afternoon, and there were 9 people on our tour, including 2 Spaniards, who are studying in Scotland, and a couple from Aberdeen who were down for the weekend.

Again the tour is very enjoyable. You get to see the tunnel under the stadium where the team coaches arrive, the dressing rooms, the 2 roooms each for referees and "ball persons" (one for each sex in these enlightened times), the warm-up area, which includes a "how hard can you kick a ball" section, and then go out into the stadium itself and see the various parts of the main stand.

One interesting fact is that there is a TV in the referees room but it is apparently not turned on at haf time so they can't see whether they got certain decisions correct. You can also see the champagne marks on the ceiling following Real Madrid's win in the CL.

I'd actually like to go back without my son, so that i can take some more time looking at some of the exhibits in more detail.

It was a great way to spend a few hours on a sunday afternoon, and I'd recommend it.

Sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon, cheers BD.

Again makes you wonder what a Rangers Museum might be like. :sigh:

Been down to Hampden and got taken out onto the pitch and been into the changing room areas and where they have a lot of sports therapy rooms etc. Some quite impressive faacilities about. But not been in the museum as of yet and would be interested to see the Rangers connections.

Walter Tull, that's the black guy they had the tv programme about recently right?

Pleased to hear the UEFA cup final is already mentioned. Suprised by a relatively rapid response. THought it would take them years.

Any pictures to share?

Yes, that's who Walter Tull is.

My pictures all involve my son, so not putting them on here.

It's great to see how a museum can be done when you have a blank bit of paper as they obviously did with the Hampden redevelopment. However I'm sure something meaningful could be done in a lot less space at Ibrox.

Thanks for that mate.

I've been to the museum as well (after the RFC AGM of 2007) and, while I never did the stadium tour part, I still enjoyed a couple of hours in the exhibits section and felt it was decent value for money.

I've previously been of the opinion that we should have a separate building for a museum but I'm not sure that needs to be the case. Haven't Rangers moved staff out of the Main Stand in recent years? I'm sure there would be room there somewhere to accommodate a similar styled museum/tour as the Hampden one.

What a good, informative post Bluedell.

Thank you for sharing that.

So how hard did you kick the ball then? Let us know.

You made it sound very interesting and having never been before i think i shall go and pay a visit.

Edited by John Barr

48 mph, I think. It showed that I hadn't kicked a ball in anger for over 10 years. I think the fastest in our group was 54 mph.

JuniorBluedell beat the slightly older Celtic fan, which was excellent. :rfc:

Should we change Bluedell's name to 'The Hammer'?

Actually I reckon Dale Winton could kick it harder than that. Poor show. :mad:

I was going to suggest '' Mallet '' as in Timmy, but I don't think BD would take to kindly to being called '' Timmy ''....................:whistle: