Weir concern at loss of axed pair

New Rangers captain David Weir fears that the loss of Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor will be a blow for Sunday's visit to Falkirk and beyond.

McGregor and deposed skipper Ferguson have been suspended by Rangers after their misbehaviour on Scotland duty.

"Obviously, I'm pleased to be captain," said 38-year-old defender Weir. "But Barry and Allan missing the game on Sunday is a big loss for us.

"They are two big players and everyone in the dressing-room is disappointed."

Rangers trail reigning champions Celtic by three points going into this weekend's Scottish Premier League games.

And there are now doubts about the future of Ferguson and McGregor at Ibrox after their hotel drinking session and subsequent V-signs made while sitting on the Scotland bench at Hampden.

"There's been no impact on the squad, but obviously if Barry and Allan aren't playing, that's going to have an impact on the team," said Weir.

They are lads that we work with every day, we like them, and it's not great to hear this

David Weir

"But it's only just happening, so it's hard to comment."

Weir was concerned for his team-mates at a personal level.

"They are two friends as well," he said. "That's the most disappointing thing.

"They are lads that we work with every day, we like them, and it's not great to hear this."

Weir said he is ready for the challenge of leading Rangers until the summer at least.

"I've stepped in in the past when Barry hasn't been available," he added.

"But, obviously, I would rather Barry was the captain."

Ferguson was previously stripped of the Rangers captaincy in 2007 while the team was managed by Paul Le Guen, who questioned his attitude and influence on the team.

However, the lifelong Rangers fan was reinstated as skipper after Smith succeeded the Frenchman.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7982111.stm

Only time will tell if we are capable of winning the league, the players that take the field on sunday know whats at stake! but can they dig deep and find the result, too many passengers in this team for me... when they are called upon to fight the cause they simply just vanish!