0,,5~3770414,00.jpg

MAURICE EDU insists he is not going to be Barry Ferguson's replacement when he runs out to face St Mirren in Paisley tomorrow night.

Edu will be given Ferguson's central midfield slot beside Pedro Mendes for the match at Saints' new stadium but he believes he will bring his own style as Rangers chase three vital Championship points.

Lee McCulloch got the job at Falkirk last Sunday following Ferguson's two-week suspension but a recurring calf injury looks like side-lining him for a week at least.

Now American international Edu will get his shot and he hopes to take it with both hands.

He said: "Barry is a great player and he brings a lot to the team. He has proven over the time he has been here that he is a great player.

"I'm still early in my career and the great thing is that I have been able to train with guys like him and Pedro and I have learned a lot.

"Hopefully I can come in and do the job. I feel confident and I'm sure my team mates will help me along the way.

"It's not a matter of me replacing him it's a matter of me coming in and playing my part and being the player I can be.

"I have been training hard every day and trying to keep my fitness up whether it is in reserve games or during training.

"So when your chance comes you have to hope that you are ready for it and you just seize it.

"It's unfortunate that Lee took that injury but it gave me an opportunity. We didn't produce the best performance at Falkirk but we fought hard and got the three points and that was the most important thing. Now we want to do the same against St Mirren."

With Kenny Miller, Kirk Broadfoot and Kyle Lafferty also missing there are opportunities for other players to who what they can do.

Edu added: "It's a chance for guys who haven't been playing much to come in and do well and help the team out in their time of need and then try to keep the spot down

"I have been waiting in the wings and had a couple of games here and there and now there is a chance for me to come in.

"Ultimately we still want to win the league so that's what we are trying to do.

"I think mental strength is a huge factor for us right now because of what has happened and the way the season has gone.

"You could put your head done and say 'Oh well' but no-one in our locker room has that attitude. They are all winners.

"Every game between now and the end of the season is going to be a battle but the only focus for us to collect maximum points."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,5~1615739,00.html

Part of me almost believed Dailly would get the nod..

Edited by Beattie

Good, I thought he should have started against Falkirk and did reasonably well when he did get on, time for Edu to step up to the plate,along with all the other guys who have been sitting waiting on an opportunity to get involved