Could our title challenge depend on 'Well v Saints

It seems a million miles away that a match featuring 7th place Motherwell and 10th place St Mirren could have a major impact on the 2008-09 SPL title race, but that is just what it could end up becoming.

The fact that Motherwell need to beat St Mirren to have any chance of reaching the top 6, and therefore ensure further matches against the top sides and a push for a European place should really have no impact on a title race between Rangers and their city rivals.

However should Motherwell, as expected, win tomorrow lunchtime's live match, it will put all the pressure on Hibs to get the win they will need to retain 6th place in this last set of fixtures before the league is carved up.

It is not as if Hibs should need any more motivation to beat Rangers at home, as they themselves need the points in their push for a European slot even if Motherwell lose, but it would then become their last chance to make the top 6, to make Europe, and to prevent the remaining 5 games becoming meaningless, with dwindling crowds and little motivation.

From our point of view of course, it means so much more. If motherwell draw tomorrow, Hibs are guaranteed 6th place if they avoid a 4 goal defeat, and a repeat of helicopter sunday could easily be foreseen if we are a couple of goals up after 75 minutes.

The other major consideration of tomorrow's result is of course the implications the 6th place team will have on the post-split fixtures, due to be announced after our game on Sunday.

If Motherwell make 6th place, it means in all probability that our remaining away fixtures will be at Dundee United and Motherwell, whilst our rivals will have to travel to Ibrox, Tynecastle and Pittodrie.

If Hibs make it, it looks more likely that we will have to go to Tynecastle instead of Fir Park, while the scum go to Easter Road instead of Tynecastle.

On paper, a trip to Tynecastle is the hardest fixture left for both sides outside the Old Firm game, and there is no doubt the away fixtures against the top 6 have been very difficult for both sides this season.

It could be to our advantage if Hibs make the top 6, but for that to happen and it not affect our title challenge by dropping points to them on Sunday, it has to come from the failure of Motherwell to win their final pre-split match at home to St Mirren tomorrow.

Normally, a match between these two would not interest me one bit, but I, like many bears I am sure, will have more than a passing interest in this match tomorrow, and will be hoping that former Rangers player Gus McPherson can do his old team a favour against former scum player and still a supporter (dont forget his disgusting team selections and pro-scum comments post-split last season) Mark McGhee.

Altogether now, oh when the Saints.........

Touched on a similar subject here though your peice seems easier to read and digest.

Us beating Hibs might in some way be to our detriment. As although 'Well making the top 6 would send Celtic to Tynecastle again it would also virtually guarantee Celtic 3 points from the Motherwell game. And as I showed in the stats I found, with the likely fixtures if Motherwell make it, Celtic gained more points from the same set of fixtures earlier this season than we did. The reverse is true if Hibs were to make it.

That might count for nought when it comes down to playing these matches for the second time this year. But it does give you an indication of who has the advantage going into the post-split fixtures.

Edited by Super_Ally

It is very easy to say that all we have to do is win our last 6 games and we become Champions, but you have been watching the same Ranges side as me this season!!

Any slight advantage we can get must be seized upon. I am already thinking we will probably drop points at Tannadice and Tynecastle if we have to go there. At Fir Park I would be confident of getting a result, and I am confident of winning our other two home games apart from the OF game.

The phscological edge of winnning the last OF game has been proven a few times in recent years to be minimal. We all remember the scum winning at Ibrox to go 5 points clear with 4 games left before helicopter sunday, and we rejoiced ourselves as we clinched 10 in a row at the piggery, only to blow it at Pittodrie later.

I would bet against either of these two poor sides winning their last 6 games to win the title, so it will come down to who can lose fewest points. That is why the other fixtures both us and them have to play are going to be hugely important, and why the make up of the split will play a huge part in deciding if it is 4IAR for the scum, or the return of our trophy back to its rightful place.