Rangers v Aberdeen

Venue: Ibrox Date: Saturday 16 May Kick-off: 1230 BST Coverage: BBC Radio Scotland & BBC Sport website.

Rangers v Aberdeen

Rangers striker Kenny Miller has recovered from a hamstring injury and fit-again midfielder Barry Ferguson also returns to the squad.

Defender Sasa Papac should also feature after weeks on the sidelines but forward Andrius Velicka is ill.

Aberdeen midfielder Mark Kerr returns from suspension.

But Jamie Smith, Andrew Considine, Zander Diamond, Darren Mackie, Derek Young and Tommy Wright are all out injured and Peter Pawlett is doubtful.

Rangers manager Walter Smith:

"Aberdeen have been difficult opponents for us over the period of time that I've been back.

"That will be a hard enough game for us so we'll just have to approach it in the manner that we can take advantage of the fact we're at home and go and try to win the game.

"At Rangers and Celtic, the pressure is on and you've got to win whether you play on a Saturday or a Sunday. That's the bottom line.

"I don't think all this stuff about pressure being put on you by the one who has played on the Saturday is there.

"You've got to win the game anyway."

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood:

"We are under no illusions about how difficult it is going to be. We have played well there in recent years and, if we had taken our chances, we could have come away with a victory.

"Eighteen years is a long time for Aberdeen. It is the only ground that I have not won at since I came here and, having been born only a mile away from the stadium, it would be nice to get that monkey off my back.

"I don't think Hearts and Dundee United would be too happy if we won, but we just have to look after ourselves.

"If we get a draw and Hearts and Dundee United draw, or Hearts win, then that may be a good point for us."

Rangers (from): Alexander, Dailly, Bougherra, Weir, Whittaker, Papac, Davis, Mendes, Edu, S Smith, Lafferty, Ferguson, Boyd, McCulloch, Miller, McGregor, Novo, Fleck, Wilson.

Aberdeen (from): Langfield, Foster, Severin, Mair, Mulgrew, Duff, McDonald, Kerr, Aluko, Miller, Maguire, Bossu, Vidal, Stewart, Paton, Ross, Holme, Stirling Smith.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8051174.stm

BBC squad is often incorrect. Wil usually take the squad from the last game plus or minus an injuries/suspensions and returning players. Doesn't explain why Fergie is included but i'd wait for a more reliable source.

Apparently Mendes is struggling with some sort of strain. As such Ferguson may play.

Hadn't heard that. So that could explain it. Still wont be convinced til I see it from a more reliable source (changed days for the BBC?).

My first instinct is we don't need a player nicknamed 'The Crab' in a game where we need to attack, attack, attack for 90 mins. However if it means getting Pedro the Passenger out the side then I'm all for it.

I used to wonder about these fans who nicknamed him backpass barry or whatever hilarious nickname it was. The same people who champion Hemdani as a great midfielder when in reality he was best of a bad bunch who played an even more negative game in terms of ball retention.

Now I notice Mendes getting similar abuse.

I wonder would these two players; Fergie and Mendes, be more appreciated abroad where possession of the ball is something they strive for, not something to be scorned in favour of aimless forward passes. You can hear the fans on the players back at Ibrox if almost every ball is not a forward pass.

I also notice Mendes playing in much the same way as Fergie does when in the side, and also Edu too if you keep an eye on him. Dropping deep to take a short ball from a defender as the midfielder (in theory) is better able to make creative use of the ball. Whislt the defenders should also be able to play the ball forward, it seems apparent to me that a number of top quality midfielders drop in to receive the ball and take the burden off the centre backs.

Obviously there is a happy medium. And particularly this weekend will need creativity, invention and urgency in our play. However playing a forward pass that is not on, in favour of keeping the ball, just for the sake of playing it forward and to keep the crowd happy, is not necessarily a better way to goal.

Personally I don't think either player is anywhere near as negative as fans make out. I think they suffer from playing in Scotland where we want to play from front to back as quickly as possible rather than probing for a more incisive opening.

Mendes biggest problem currently, in my opinion, is not a refusal to play forward, but an inability to do so effectively.

Edit: Not a dig at you Norris btw. Just a counter-arguement to what I see as a common misconception. :D

Edited by Super_Ally

Of course it would help Mendes or Ferguson if they actually had a target to make the forward pass, ie width, as it is there is no such option therefore the only pass that can be made is sideways or backwards

Of course it would help Mendes or Ferguson if they actually had a target to make the forward pass, ie width, as it is there is no such option therefore the only pass that can be made is sideways or backwards

:thup:

True Ian, a major point that influences the way our midfield play that I did not touch on in my rant.

:thup:

True Ian, a major point that influences the way our midfield play that I did not touch on in my rant.

A major point when all the criticism is aimed at our midfielders regarding '' get the ball forward ''.