Thommo Injury update???

Thomson and Edu fight for fitness

Kevin Thomson and Maurice Edu

Midfielders Thomson and Edu face a summer of leg-strengthening work

Injured Rangers midfield duo Kevin Thomson and Maurice Edu hope an intense period of physiotherapy will prepare them for the rigours of the new season.

Thomson, who has been strengthening his leg after cruciate ligament surgery, may make the start of the new campaign.

He told Rangers World: "A wee bit of endurance under my belt over the summer will hopefully stand me in good stead."

And Edu said of his knee surgery: "All parties involved were happy with the result. I'm anxious to start my rehab."

Rangers manager Walter Smith knows the American midfielder will be out for up to three months and will therefore miss the opening Scottish Premier League encounters.

However, the Ibrox club will hope the 23-year-old can recover in time for their first Champions League match on 15 or 16 September.

Edu broke into the Rangers first team in the closing weeks of last season but hurt his knee in a challenge with Darren Dods as his team clinched the league title at Tannadice.

He has been forced to withdraw from his country's World Cup qualifiers against Costa Rica and Honduras and the Confederations Cup tournament this month.

"Now is the annoying part as I'm on crutches for four to six weeks," Edu said on his personal website.

Hopefully I'll be fit from day one, rather than needing the three or four weeks to get fit

Kevin Thomson

"I'm out for possibly three months, but I'll get some time to go home and see my family for a little bit, so that's good.

"I'm just staying positive and keeping my head down. I need to get fit and get my knee healthy and strong.

"From there, I just need to fight hard and earn a spot back in the starting line-up because this season was great."

Thomson, meanwhile, is progressing well with his rehabilitation schedule and could surprise the club doctors by being fit for the SPL curtain-raiser in mid-August.

He hopes that the work he is doing now to build his stamina and strength will give him a head-start on his team-mates.

"I've never shirked hard work. I prefer to run on the park than around hills, but I know where I'm at, I know I need to get fit," said the 24-year-old.

"The boys have had a long, hard season and deserve their break.

"The whole point of pre-season is getting fit and hopefully I'll be fit from day one, rather than needing the three or four weeks to get fit.

"Hopefully I'll have a wee edge on the boys."

Hopefully Thommo will make it. Seems no chance Edu will make the start.

• 2 weeks later...

Another fan says the spoke to Thommo at Hamilton races and he said he'd definitely be fit for pre-season beginning but Edu wont be back training til September. (So prob not back playing for several weeks after that).

Another fan says the spoke to Thommo at Hamilton races and he said he'd definitely be fit for pre-season beginning but Edu wont be back training til September. (So prob not back playing for several weeks after that).

I was at the Hamilton races last night and saw him and Whittaker. Didn't go up and bother them though, as they are there to chill out.

Ended up �£25 up as well. :spl:

I was at the Hamilton races last night and saw him and Whittaker. Didn't go up and bother them though, as they are there to chill out.

Ended up �£25 up as well. :spl:

Didn't go and bother them because they where with Borwn? :devil:

Not a bad night at the races. :thup: