Transfer Rumour - Sam Vokes

He was 3rd or 4th choce striker for Wolves last season and only got a game when Ebanks-Blake and the Scottish boy with the daft name were injured. Other than that, I know no more.

More than I knew. Doesn't sound too promising, though he is young I guess.

I think he played for Bournemouth before Wolves signed him. Don't know what his scoring record was like for Bournemouth or Wolves for that matter.

2006–2008 Bournemouth 54 (16)

2008– Wolverhampton Wanderers 36 0(6)

National team2

2008– Wales U21 11 0(4)

2007–2008Wales 10 0(1)

Club career

Born in Lymington, Vokes stepped up into Bournemouth's first team on 5 December 2006 in a 2-0 victory over Nottingham Forest. His first senior goal came in a 1-1 draw at Gillingham on 16 December. This form saw the club give him a three-and-a-half year professional contract during the following month.

The striker remained at Bournemouth during the 2007/08 season to score 12 times as they suffered relegation to League Two, despite being linked to several other clubs, including Newcastle United, Aston Villa, Everton and Celtic.

He eventually signed a four-year contract with Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers on 23 May 2008. Vokes marked his debut for the club by coming off the bench to equalise in a 2–2 draw at Plymouth Argyle on the opening day of the 2008–09 season. He followed this up by coming off the bench to score twice at Charlton on 13 September. After numerous substitute appearances and important goals, Sam started the home game against Southampton along with Andy Keogh to replace the injured Chris Iwelumo and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Within 36 seconds the managers faith was repayed as Vokes scored a headed goal with Wolves going on to win the game 3-0.

International career

Although born in England, Vokes is eligible to represent Wales through a Welsh-born grandfather. He won a call-up to the Welsh under-21 team, and made his debut against Northern Ireland U21 on 6 February 2007, where he made an instant impression by scoring after just 36 seconds in a 4–0 victory. He remained in the team and featured in their European U-21 Championship qualifying campaign and was called-up to the senior squad and made his debut in a 1–0 friendly win in Iceland on 28 May 2008.

He scored his first senior international goal when he netted the winner in a 1–0 win over Azerbaijan in their opening 2010 World Cup qualifier on 6 September 2008.

From wiki:

16 in 54 for Bournemouth 06/08

6 in 36 for Wolves 08/present

4 in 11 Wales u21 07/08

1 in 10 for Wales 08/Present

Wiki only shows league games/goals in the right hand box (sometimes get full stats lower down the page).

Not an impressive strike rate but he is only 19. Will many of those be starts?

Just checking soccerbase too.

Only 4 starts in the league for Wolves.

All comps:

Wolves: 7 starts, 32 subs, 8 goals.

Bournemouth: 42 starts, 17 subs, 16 goals.

Unfortunately know nothing about him other than the stats I can find.

Must have played for Wales u21 aged about 17 though. 10 full caps at 19 and getting some games for the team that won the Championship. Must have something about him.

Edit: Jon beat me to it. :box: