SOLDIERS from the Black Watch, 3rd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland took part in a landmark friendly yesterday wearing strips kindly donated by Rangers and West Ham.

The soldiers are in Afghanistan to train the Afghan National Army and they teamed up with their counterparts from 7 Scots to take on the new recruits.

Scots soldiers take on Afghan troops in a friendly in KabulThe donation of the Rangers strips follows a visit on 26 July by Douglas Alexander, the Secretary of State for International Development.

Whilst there, he learned over lunch with the soldiers at Camp Souter that one side had no football strips and he arranged for them to be kitted out.

Back in Britain, the Scots minister linked up with the Light Blues and immediately arranged to send a team strip to Afghanistan.

The Afghan National Army players wore the Rangers kit, with the international side sporting West Ham's strip colours.

The match took place at the Kabul Military Training Centre, where international mentors including British soldiers and Royal Marines train Afghan Officer and Non-Commissioned Officers.

The final score was 2-2 and the international team's captain, Rangers supporter Major David Jones, heralded the game as a huge success.

He said: "The Afghans that I'm training are very fit young men - they do a lot of sport and weight training.

All of us, particularly the Afghans, have been looking forward to the game for a while. It's the first full match we've played against one another and it was very competitive.

"The quality of the cadets on and off the pitch is very good. They're very keen to serve their country and they're very keen to help in the fight against the insurgents.

Scots soldiers take on Afghan troops in a friendly in Kabul"We're extremely grateful to both Rangers and West Ham United for the donation of the kit. Being a Rangers fan myself, having their strips here made the game even better!"

Colour Sergeant Gary Buchanan, 36, from Arbroath, plays in midfield. He has previously served in Iraq, but this is his first mentoring role.

Speaking before the match, he said: "When we first came, I wasn't sure what to expect of the Afghans as my previous experience was working with the Iraqis.

"I've been here for five months now and it's been rewarding work. They're keen, enthusiastic and fit - fitness is obviously a key part of soldiering.

"They're also a very good standard considering their Army was only established six years ago. I hope the same skill won't be applied on the field!

"Obviously this work is very different to the work the boys are doing down south in Helmand, but it's just as important.

"This is what is going to allow the Afghans to have control for themselves and what will get us as a coalition out of Afghanistan."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Headlines/0,,5~1754386,00.html