Btw, read yesterday that whilst we have shipped out 9 with none in Celtic have had 11 leave with 3 in (effectively reducing the squad size by 8).

I know people will likely talk about how we should set our sights higher than merely being better than them.

However, competing in Europe requires first that we are better than them (and the rest of the SPL but it is traditionally a two horse race). Last year we were the better squad. This year both squads have been reduced by roughly the same amount. Whilst it is arguable we have lost little in the way of quality and contribution Celtic have lost players who, whilst limited, were significant members of their squad and it is yet to be seen if they have really been replaced.

It's going to be a long and fraught season and this one more than most may very well come down to luck. Luck with avoiding injury and suspension.

whats happening on Monday ? :confused:

I was expecting to hear the club was being sold yesterday.... :whistle:

Nah, I was just on holiday last week and didn't have time to post a full reply. I did have something interesting to say but can't remember what it was now... :(

Before I start just let me say this is totally without any foundation , it's just my own thoughts no sources or rumours behind it .

The way we have approached this year from Jan 1st till the present has been almost scatter gun like , any decent or at least any offer for any player seems to have been accepted whether to take players on loan or for transfer , the initial figure of removing �£4million from the wage bill has more than been reached along with getting around �£1.6 million ( once the players cut is removed as no one asked for a transfer ) for players in fees .

This has left me wondering why the desperation for this type of actions , we all agree last season though brilliant to win the league , was a disaster from the point of view of player recruitment , with the vast majority being brought in too late for europe and leaving us with far to big a squad , any sane fan would realise that there would need to be some sort of balancing act , and few would agree with the majority of players leaving in fact some would like a few more join the ranks of the departed .

However and this is where this season so far has been very strange , with so much riding yet again on the league it is very unlike Walter to go with such a thread bare squad , without bringing in any players , indeed Murray's lapdogs are now infact telling all that infact we need more players out the door before we can even get a bosman or a loan signing on board .

I can only hope that this is being done as part of a takeover deal , such as Portsmouth's where they are preparing the finances before the sheikh takes over , if not then what exactly are the figures on our finances going to read, possibly like a horror movie if barrybaldy is correct .

Never can the hopes of so many be laid at the feet of so few , god bless them I really hope they succeed ...

I must admit I find the whole situation somewhat puzzling. Yes, we all know we had to shed money by shedding players and their wages but, as you wrote, we've certainly managed to move on enough of the squad to surely appease the bank whilst the CL money should help ensure we cut the debt by an amount that should help going forward.

As such, when we keep reading about how certain key players are the next to go, I just wonder where we are heading here when we're only another year from needing at least one more defender (Broadfoot and Weir's contracts are up) and goalscorer (Novo and Boyd contracts are up). If we can't afford these replacements now, how will we manage it next season with CL football far from guaranteed?

There are obviously problems at MIH (not sure when they report their annual figures) so perhaps our owner is attempting this fire-sale to claw back what he can before he bails out to concentrate on that. We've all read the rumours about Dougie Park, Souness, McColl et al but instead of investment we only see further cut-backs.

Like you say it all seems a bit strange. I'm all for the club being more efficient (even self-sufficient if necessary) but I'm unsure what kind of strategy we're employing here.

Time for our chairman to come out and clear the air somewhat. With our financial results due to be published any day now and the club AGM also on the horizon, we can expect him to re-appear. Problem is, can we see past the spin to that reality of the situation.

Where is our club going? And who is steering?