New RSAssembly Website

Interested in hearing everyone's opinions...

Like I said last night on the STS thread, I think having a forum is a positive development in terms of creating open debate but if a supporters organisation is to do this, they need to be extremely careful in how they approach it.

As such, I'm a bit disappointed with forum software - the Joomla extension they've used is OK but not ideal, not secure and lacks functionality. That needs to be addressed immediately. VBulletin (or some recognised paid alternative) needs to be used and its registrations bridged with the Joomla CMS.

After that, it is up to the Assembly to ensure the site is well moderated. Not to censure debate but to ensure the debate is of a quality deserving of the supporters genuinely interested in representation. As it stands it seems anything goes which won't work as those of differing/hostile agendas use the place as a soap box.

The site itself is reasonable. I'm not a huge fan of the Rocket Theme used (there are other better ones) but it serves its purpose and if updated often enough will be a useful place to visit in conjunction with (and not instead) of the existing sites in the community. Hopefully all can continue to complement each other.

Room for improvement then but this should be seen as an opportunity to contribute to that improvement as opposed to token criticism of an organisation that does appear genuine in their attempts to address their faults.

First, let me say I wouldn't have a clue how to set-up, run or moderate a board so any comments I make are with all due respect.

Everyone has their own preferences but I have to say it looks and feels sub-standard, presumably for the reasons you have mentioned Frankie.

Also, the messageboard is like a chimp's tea party at the moment - hopefully it'll settle down when people get bored with trouble-making and ripping the piss out of it.

Obviously the guys have a bit of work to do still, so they need to be given a bit of time to iron things out. I'll keep an eye on it, post a bit and hope it improves.

Yeah, it was always going to be a bit of a mess initially because of the extremely public launch. All the more reason why suitable preparation and consultation should have been done. The Kunena software is OK but not flexible enough for what may prove to be a busy hub for fans.

But, I think it could be a good addition - especially it it is moderated properly and if the Assembly committee take an active part in the discussions.

I've not taken the time to have a proper look yet, other than a cursory glance at the homepage.

I spend enough time on here and a few other websites.

Tbh, I was of the opinion that I just wouldn't find the time to include another regular website in my time wasted on the internet. :D

However, I would be in no place to criticise or make comment on the RSA and their work and website if I did not at least spend some time seeing what they have to offer.

Will have a look at some point and come back to see if I can add anything to the points above.

Does anyone know of the people behind said website?

I only ask because in the world of messageboards, there's around a dozen people I know of (cyber-know, at any rate) who would be able and willing to do a professional, high standard job for The Club - anything 'official' must be squeaky clean, after all - and I wonder if they have been approached. Making the most of what would be totally committed workers would have seemed sensible to me.

Does anyone know of the people behind said website?

I only ask because in the world of messageboards, there's around a dozen people I know of (cyber-know, at any rate) who would be able and willing to do a professional, high standard job for The Club - anything 'official' must be squeaky clean, after all - and I wonder if they have been approached. Making the most of what would be totally committed workers would have seemed sensible to me.

Andy Kerr is President of the Assembly and him and Ross Blyth, the VP are the main guys behind the website. More Ross than andy in respect of the technical side.

They both appeared to be happy to accept help, so you could drop them an email at rangers.assembly@fsmail.net if you or anyone else wanted to help.