JORG ALBERTZ was absolutely delighted to see Stuttgart stuffed by his hometown club Hamburg at the weekend.

Tonight he would love nothing more than to witness his other favourite team pile on the agony for the Bundesliga big guns in the Mercedes-Benz Arena.

Albertz, the German who became an adopted Scot during a hugely successful five-year stint with Rangers that ended in 2001, isn't predicting a Champions League victory forWalter Smith's men but does believe they are capable of securing a precious point. However, that's only if they ditch the backs-to-the-wall tactics that paid off so spectacularly the last time they visited Germany competitively.

Albertz remembers vividly the battering Rangers withstood from Werder Bremen en route to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008 but believes a similarly defensive philosophy won't pay dividends against Stuttgart.

He said: "I was at the Bremen game and I watched it through my fingers. I know the circumstances are different this time. Back then, Rangers were defending a two-goal lead from the first leg and basically put everyone in their own penalty box and letWerder Bremen hammer away at them.

"They eventually lost the game but went through on aggregate and that was down to Allan McGregor's performance in goal. He was unbelievable but nobody can expect him to play like that again. It was the performance of a lifetime.

"If I'm being honest, Rangers were lucky to survive that night but I was delighted they did. They can't afford to play like that against Stuttgart because if they invite them to attack for 90 minutes, they'll eventually lose goals.

"I am not saying they must attack without caring about their defence but if they go forward at the right times and put pressure on their defenders, I am sure they can get a goal or two.

"That might depend, though, on what kind of night the Stuttgart goalkeeper has. Everyone knows Jens Lehmann from his Arsenal days - he can be world class and unbeatable in one game and then lose the easiest goals in the next match.

"Rangers must hope Lehmann has one of those nights when he makes mistakes. If he does they will have a real chance."

Albertz is a big pal of Stuttgart manager Markus Babbel, the former Liverpool defender who was his team-mate at Hamburg, but his love for Rangers overshadows his desire to see his fellow Germans claim a victory tonight.

He added: "Everyone knows what Rangers mean to me. I love the club and always will.

"They will be looking at Stuttgart's start to the season, which hasn't been great, and hoping they can take advantage but this is still a quality team." The news that Stuttgart playmaker Alexander Hleb is almost certainly out has brought a smile to Albertz's face because he believes the former Arsenal star, currently on loan from Barcelona, would have pulled all the strings tonight.

He said:"It will be a massive help if Hleb is out injured because he makes Stuttgart play. It looks like he has an injury but their captain Thomas Hitzlsperger is a world-class midfielder who must not be given the chance to shoot from 30 yards out.

"He has a lethal left foot and, on the other side, the striker Cacau can also hit them with his right, soWalter has to make sure the team doesn't give away free-kicks around the box.

"But they have lost Mario Gomez to Bayern Munich and he is just a goal machine. The man they have bought to replace him Pavel Pogrebnyak is a fantastic striker and proved it with Zenit St Petersburg but he is still settling in Germany.

"It can be difficult for a player to come from another country and feel comfortable with his new team-mates and his new lifestyle straight away. I know I managed it no bother when I came to Rangers but not everybody is like me. For Rangers' sake, I hope Pogrebnyak takes a little longer to settle."

Albertz is looking forward to the managerial match-up between Babbel, and his old gafferWalter Smith.

He has immense respect for both men and added: "Markus is still learning but he had real success in his first season last year when he almost took Stuttgart to the Bundesliga title.

"They ended up finishing third but this season has not been good so far, although it is early. They have won just one of their first five games and lost 3-1 in Hamburg at the weekend.

"To be fair Hamburg played great and are top of the league on merit. They will give Celtic a very hard test when they play them in the Europa League.

"The Stuttgart fans have high expectations and they aren't happy at the moment. They are very passionate, which is great when the team is doing well but can work against it when the players are struggling.

"I am sure the stadium will be filled with 55,000 fans for the first game in the Champions League and there will be a great atmosphere. But if Rangers start well and Stuttgart don't, it would not surprise me if their fans start to get very angry with their team.

"The last thing players need is their own crowd to go against them but it would be a great thing for Rangers if they could make it happen. But I hope Markus does well over the season because he is a great guy.

"On the other sideWalter has all the experience in the world and it was amazing when he took Rangers to the UEFA Cup Final. He has followed that by winning the league and I am sure he will come up with a plan for Stuttgart.

"But I am also sure he would sign right now for a draw. Taking a point from Germany would be a great result and it wouldn't surprise me if Rangers get it - as long as they don't defend for 90 minutes looking for a 0-0 draw."

There can't have been many who didn't love big Jorg Albertz in a Rangers shirt. He was certainly one of my all time favourite players.

I love to quote The Hammer to celtc fans as positive proof that Rangers supporters don't have a problem with catholics at Ibrox. "Aw but he's no a real kafflick 'n at no. Probly never even been tae Dublin".

Albertz is a big pal of Stuttgart manager Markus Babbel, the former Liverpool defender who was his team-mate at Hamburg, but his love for Rangers overshadows his desire to see his fellow Germans claim a victory tonight.

He added: "Everyone knows what Rangers mean to me. I love the club and always will.

Always good to hear these comments from the foreign boys, especially that he is supporting us over a team from his own country. :D

"It can be difficult for a player to come from another country and feel comfortable with his new team-mates and his new lifestyle straight away. I know I managed it no bother when I came to Rangers but not everybody is like me.

And gotta love the arrogance there.

Also notice the danger men he's picked out are much the same as my pre-match analysis.