I was thinking of our team at the start of this season, thinking we looked strong, fast, creative and with some potential for the future.

Three weeks later, I'm looking at the same team and thinking this is a team that achieved all it could last season, and that this year is going to mean more rebuilding (yes, again). And what that makes me think is, does Smith want to rebuild another team?

It also makes me think, once again, that I know nothing about football!

But regarding the more important points, where do we go from here? Does Smith stick with the players who have shown little fight or energy so far; does he bring in players like Fleck or Wilson; does he have the stomach to do it all over again; do we look to McCoist for the future, or start the search for a new manager now?

Hard to believe that so many negative questions can be rolling around, when I was so sure we were on our way!!

I was thinking of our team at the start of this season, thinking we looked strong, fast, creative and with some potential for the future.

Three weeks later, I'm looking at the same team and thinking this is a team that achieved all it could last season, and that this year is going to mean more rebuilding (yes, again). And what that makes me think is, does Smith want to rebuild another team?

It also makes me think, once again, that I know nothing about football!

But regarding the more important points, where do we go from here? Does Smith stick with the players who have shown little fight or energy so far; does he bring in players like Fleck or Wilson; does he have the stomach to do it all over again; do we look to McCoist for the future, or start the search for a new manager now?

Hard to believe that so many negative questions can be rolling around, when I was so sure we were on our way!!

Andy, I don't think there's a Rangers supporter who didn't want to think the same as you about this season, that we had turned a corner and better things lay ahead. I certainly wanted it to be like that.

But when you look at the start we have made over the last month or so, you realise that the same players, coached by the same management using the same tactics, are hardly much basis for real improvement. Hope seldom proves more powerful than reality and it's probably the case that improvement will only come with significant change. Since better player swill require money we don't currently have, we either need new team management or a new owner, preferably both.

I shouldn't be so critical of Walter, he is what he is and has certainly played his part in the Rangers story, but if we want things to improve from here then his replacement will have to be part of it.

Aberdeen are a reasonable example.

Under both Calderwood and McGhee they have persevered with some real shite, I mean First Division players, with at time disastrous or hilarious outcomes depending on your allegiance.

Yesterday they started a 16 year old, a 17 year old and an 18 year old and at times ran us ragged.

I've mentioned bad attitude from some of our players before, i.e. they see the fixture list, see 'Queen of the South' or 'Motherwell' and open games at 60%. It can be hard to recover when you set out like that from kick-off.

For all that youngsters may harbour an element of naivety in other parts of their game, it's very rare to see a youth player give anything less than 100% on the park.

The result for Aberdeen yesterday was they came as close to ending The Silence of the Sheep as they have for many a year.

Some of our players need to take a serious look at themselves and ask themselves if they are really earning their vast salaries.

I think it's pretty obvious that he'd like to strengthen the squad, but that we simply don't have the money. Had we got more appropriate transfer fees for Fergie & Adam there might have been a couple of million for a new center back, but we sold the pair of them for less money than Ferguson alone was worth.

Does Smith stick with the players who have shown little fight or energy so far?

The size of the squad we've been forced to reduce to dictates that he doesn't have that much choice. There's room for slight squad rotation & formation experiments, but we've not got the personnel to make radical changes unless Smith really does dig into the youth.

does he bring in players like Fleck or Wilson?

Personally, I want Wilson brought in for Weir immediately. This is one season too far for Davie imo. His distribution is woeful & he's at a point now where he's constantly going to be caught for pace. I'd like to see Wilson brought in to play with Madjid & Davie kept on as an emergency CB with a view to him possibly staying with the club in a coaching role.

As for Fleck, if he's going to be played, I think he should be played in his best position, which is either up top in a striking partnership or possibly sitting in a free role between the midfield & striker/s.

I'd also love to see the likes of Shinnie given some SPL games/starts ahead of one of our first pick strikers, since they apparently need some new competition for their starting places to ignite their passion to score goals & help us win games.

does he have the stomach to do it all over again; do we look to McCoist for the future, or start the search for a new manager now?

Pass. All I know is that it's too early in the season to be talking about a management change (imo).