Naismith for lone striker?

That means Boyd (or Lafferty up front) then? Can hardly have someone playing off Miller.

Yeah I see Naismith long-term playing a free role behind a main striker and, yes, I would have either Boyd or Lafferty as the striker in that situation.

I think Boyd could actually excel with someone playing that free role as he does play right on the last man's shoulder which would benefit from someone playing slide rule passes in.

I do also think that Lafferty could play that role too.

Miller, for me, is one of, if not the, final striking option at the club.

I think Walter Smith sees Naismith & Lafferty as his main strikers long term. Boyd........?????, don't think his contract will be renewed, all in my humble opinion of course

I'll go join Norris and MF's self help group if Walter doesn't offer him a contract. :devil:

Yeah I see Naismith long-term playing a free role behind a main striker and, yes, I would have either Boyd or Lafferty as the striker in that situation.

I think Boyd could actually excel with someone playing that free role as he does play right on the last man's shoulder which would benefit from someone playing slide rule passes in.

I do also think that Lafferty could play that role too.

Miller, for me, is one of, if not the, final striking option at the club.

the first thing we need to do is work out if we are better with 1, 2 or 3 upfront. We are still chopping and changing every week. Look at the top teams like Chelsea - they know its going to be Drogba and Anelka - easy.

Looking long term, I see Lafferty being first choice. He is what 22? he was a different player through the middle last season and offered almost as much as Cousin did when Cousin wanted to play. I see the argument for having Boyd off Lafferty but the way i see it if we have a skillful pacey player like Miller, Naismith or novo playing off Lafferty it will cause defences much more problems.

These headaches are what WS should be craving, instead he is sticking to negative defensive play.

the first thing we need to do is work out if we are better with 1, 2 or 3 upfront. We are still chopping and changing every week. Look at the top teams like Chelsea - they know its going to be Drogba and Anelka - easy.

Looking long term, I see Lafferty being first choice. He is what 22? he was a different player through the middle last season and offered almost as much as Cousin did when Cousin wanted to play. I see the argument for having Boyd off Lafferty but the way i see it if we have a skillful pacey player like Miller, Naismith or novo playing off Lafferty it will cause defences much more problems.

These headaches are what WS should be craving, instead he is sticking to negative defensive play.

With the personnel we have I would actually like to see us playing a 4-2-3-1 formation with Thomson and Edu playing the holding roles. We could then have the "3" being Rothen, Davis and Naismith (but with other options too such as Mendes and Fleck). Up front would, IMO, be either Lafferty or Boyd.

Something like :

:am:

:sw: :mb: :dw: :sp:

:me: :kt:

:sd: :sn: :jr:

:kl:

That's not a bad team.

Though I am a little concerned that a man at the minute who appears to have no more than potential has already achieved superstar status, in Kyle Lafferty. Has all the tools to become a decent forward. Not aimed at you btw Craig, just a general feeling from my time browsing fan sites.

That's not a bad team.

Though I am a little concerned that a man at the minute who appears to have no more than potential has already achieved superstar status, in Kyle Lafferty. Has all the tools to become a decent forward. Not aimed at you btw Craig, just a general feeling from my time browsing fan sites.

No worries S_A. Lafferty could easily be replaced with Boyd in that team but I could only put 11 in there.

It also has much flexibility with Rothen, Davis and Naismith being given a bit of freedom to swap positions and float across the park. Then either Thomson or Edu could break beyond the attackers to get on the end of passes.

Let's not forget that we also would have Fleck, Mendes, Novo et al to also shake up those positions too.

I just couldnt fit more than XI in the team. Put Boyd in there for Lafferty and I wouldn't be overly disappointed either.

I like Novo in any team so would include him from the start.

If picking my first choice XI at the moment with everyone fit id go:

_________________Alexander_______________

Whittaker_____Bougherra____Weir_______Papac

_______Davis______Thomson____Edu_________

_______Novo_______Miller_______Lafferty_____

No worries S_A. Lafferty could easily be replaced with Boyd in that team but I could only put 11 in there.

It also has much flexibility with Rothen, Davis and Naismith being given a bit of freedom to swap positions and float across the park. Then either Thomson or Edu could break beyond the attackers to get on the end of passes.

Let's not forget that we also would have Fleck, Mendes, Novo et al to also shake up those positions too.

I just couldnt fit more than XI in the team. Put Boyd in there for Lafferty and I wouldn't be overly disappointed either.

To be fair, Lafferty would most likely work better in that team and formation due to the attributes him and Boyd possess.

My comments above were more related to the repeated suggestion that Lafferty should walk straight into this weekend's team despite not being match fit. If he was a Gazza or Laudrup type player, fair enough.

As I say though, that post was stimulated more by general feeling online and not so much your post which I presume was more a starting XI for the future. I.e. When Lafferty has regained match fitness.

I like Novo in any team so would include him from the start.

If picking my first choice XI at the moment with everyone fit id go:

_________________Alexander_______________

Whittaker_____Bougherra____Weir_______Papac

_______Davis______Thomson____Edu_________

_______Novo_______Miller_______Lafferty_____

If you have Edu in the central midfield role and put Thomson in the left side of that 3 then you would have good balance.

But Lafferty isnt a left sided striker - he played it in a 4-5-1 and a 4-3-3 and didnt do too well.

Novo could also play in that 4-2-3-1 formation of mine too as one of the "3", pushing up to almost be a 2nd striker. He has the engine for it certainly so not a bad shout.