International Week ââ?¬â?? A Welcome Distraction?

To the majority of fans of club football the weekend�s set aside in the fixture calendar for international competition prove no more than an unwelcome irritation. This early into a new season few wish to see their team�s momentum interrupted World Cup qualifiers or friendlies, whilst others do not wish to wait two weeks to see their heroes arrest a run of poor results.

With Scotland failing to secure second spot in group 9 and thus not having to concern ourselves with the makeup of the play-offs for a place on the plane to South Africa a friendly fixture the other side of the globe was not going to whet the appetite. That goes for the players as well as the fans, with Scotland�s few players of genuine quality declining the call-up due to injuries, whether real or imagined.

Given Rangers last competitive fixture was a home victory in another bruising Old Firm encounter you would imagine that a break in the season is the last thing Walter Smith and the players would want. However, whilst we secured the three points last time out, it would be difficult to argue that we were building up a head of steam on the domestic front with our 3 previous league encounters ending goalless. The hard-fought Old Firm victory merely reduced the deficit to 1 point. It has been a false-start to the season so far, but hopefully the break in club football will allow us to regroup and return to SPL action with real purpose.

The threadbare nature of the first team squad is often on the lips of fans, players and journalists around the country. We cannot afford to be missing too many key players as we simply don�t have the reinforcements.

Kevin Thomson was perhaps rushed back into the first team thanks to injuries and suspensions wish has led to him suffering a reaction to the lack of proper recuperation. It was no surprise when the young midfielder was withdrawn from the Scotland squad that travelled to Japan. A couple of weeks training and recovering at Murray Park should allow Rangers to reintroduce him to the first team at full fitness.

Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller started the Old Firm encounter in ominous form if in unfamiliar roles as the Boyd turned provider for Miller�s deadly finishing on the day. It was therefore disappointing to see Boyd removed from the action before half time after a clash of heads left the big Ayrshire-man with an eye-socket injury. Boyd could be out for as much as four weeks, but with Boyd having removed himself from International consideration it is fortunate that two of those weeks fall during the international break.

Kyle Lafferty�s return against Celtic should help soften the blow of Boydie�s injury lay off. Worryingly, Lafferty was forced to withdraw from the Northern Ireland squad to face the Czech Rep. with a chest infection but I would expect that should not keep him out of the Rangers squad to face St. Johnstone in our next fixture.

However, some of our key men are away on international duty and as Rangers fans we will all be concerned about the condition they return in. Pedro Mendes found himself back in the engine room for Portugal as they won handsomely over Hungary to keep their World Cup hopes alive. Star man Madjid Bougherra is away with Algeria whilst Whittaker again filled the right back role for Scotland. We will all be hoping that these key players along with our other internationals return unscathed.

Before the Old Firm victory 7 days ago, the squad were misfiring; the midfield could not dictate the play whilst the forwards could not hurt the opposition feeding off the meagre scraps their team mates provided resulting in three disappointing goalless draws. At least the miserly defence were keeping the opposition out at the other end.

Closing the gap at the top to just one point was essential, even this early in the season as we could not afford to slip 7 points behind if we are to retain our title. However, the two-week break between SPL matches will allow the management team to examine our performances and pin point our deficiencies before communicating this with the players. Even in spite of the absent international stars it is vital that Smith, McCoist and McDowall use this break productively to get the team firing again and iron-out the issues that saw us slump 4 points behind in the title race after a solid if unspectacular start to the season. No disrespect to St Johnstone but the club could not have handpicked a better game in which to test if the players can deliver an improved commitment and coherence.

Hopefully getting an international call up will spur Pedro Mendes on to better club form. He has been the most disappointing player for me up until now. He can do better we all know that, Walter and Ally have to dig it out of him.

Hopefully getting an international call up will spur Pedro Mendes on to better club form. He has been the most disappointing player for me up until now. He can do better we all know that, Walter and Ally have to dig it out of him.

Aye, the most frustrating players to watch are not those of "limited ability" but those of greater ability but whom, for whatever reason, appear unwilling or unable to demonstrate it consistently.

Aye, the most frustrating players to watch are not those of "limited ability" but those of greater ability but whom, for whatever reason, appear unwilling or unable to demonstrate it consistently.

This is why I find Davis sooooooooooooo frustrating, I reckon this guy is the best midfield player in the SPL by a mile, IMO, but feck me he frustrates the shit out of me, I'm not having a go at him as such, I just feel this guy has all the attributes to be a superstar but always seems to play well within his true capability !!!!, I don't know what it is but I always get the impression he could do a lot more, not just for Rangers but for himself, he can get right into teams with his pace and skill but all to often he gives me the impression he looks for the easy way out, I don't know if he actually believes in himself, or maybe I think he is, could be, better than he is :confused:

This is why I find Davis sooooooooooooo frustrating, I reckon this guy is the best midfield player in the SPL by a mile, IMO, but feck me he frustrates the shit out of me, I'm not having a go at him as such, I just feel this guy has all the attributes to be a superstar but always seems to play well within his true capability !!!!, I don't know what it is but I always get the impression he could do a lot more, not just for Rangers but for himself, he can get right into teams with his pace and skill but all to often he gives me the impression he looks for the easy way out, I don't know if he actually believes in himself, or maybe I think he is, could be, better than he is :confused:

From what I've been seeing of Davis lately, he seems to be staying back & covering for either Whittaker or Bougherra when they bomb forward, not all the time, but quite frequently & unfortunately it's taking a very creative attacking midfielder clean out of the game when this happens. IMO it's something that needs sorted, but it's not lack of effort that's keeping Davis from playing the way he should be.

Playing him in a central role might make him play better. I feel he is lost out on the right. Davis beats players by his runs and turns. Sticking him out on the wing means he can only run and turn in one direction which is like a shackle to him imo.

I feel the same way Ian. There are times I see Davis and I think, "what are you doing in the SPL?" Then he goes missing for an hour. Arguably our best player, I still think it was a major coup getting him on a permanent deal.

I feel the same way Ian. There are times I see Davis and I think, "what are you doing in the SPL?" Then he goes missing for an hour. Arguably our best player, I still think it was a major coup getting him on a permanent deal.

Aye, and then I think how/why did he end up @ Rangers ??,if he was that good maybe he would have still been in the EPL earning good money ??, maybe he is not as good as I think he could be :confused:

Aye, and then I think how/why did he end up @ Rangers ??,if he was that good maybe he would have still been in the EPL earning good money ??, maybe he is not as good as I think he could be :confused:

I think before his injury, Kevin Thomson was on his way to being Rangers' best player. And captain. The way he totally bossed the 1-0 game at Ibrox against the bheasts in 2007/08 (when he scored) was immense.