Hang On A Mo, I Know What We Are Missing

I think the kindest words that can be used to describe our early season form is ââ?¬Ë?erraticââ?¬â?¢ both on the domestic front and in Europe. There have been a few highs (2nd half against Stuttgart, first half against Seville, victory at Tynecastle and our recent OF victory) but these have been outweighed with negatives. We have failed to win another away game since that memorable victory in Edinburgh and have failed to score against Motherwell, Killie and Aberdeen.

Thankfully we managed to get back on track against Celtc and earned a well deserved 3 points to close the gap to one point when most feared that we�d fall 7 points behind. It isn�t only the results that are worrying, some of the performances have raised alarming questions regarding the quality of our squad, especially once we have injuries and suspensions. There are also credible concerns regarding our discipline after receiving three red cards in our opening three SPL away games. In saying that, it could be argued that all three decisions were incorrect (however, it can as easily be argued that all three were correct depending on your interpretation of the rules).

We continue to have a sound defensive base to build upon with us ensuring that goals against are at a premium and its undeniable that we are hard to break down (unless your Seville!). It is further forward we are appearing to struggle. Our midfield is constantly being chopped and changed and none of our strikers have set the heather on fire so far this season. It can be argued that they are being starved of their usual quality service as our creative players have been limited with injuries and suspensions.

Hopefully this is improving as we are slowly but surely getting most of our players match fit and ready for action. The only exceptions are long-term absentees Kirk Broadfoot and Mo Edu. With all due respect to Kirk is exclusion from the squad whilst being missed, in my opinion, it is the enforced absence of Mo Edu that has hampered us this season. This is an extraordinary admission from myself as when I first heard we had signed the young American for �£2.6M I believed it was money thrown away. The early sightings of the slight American hardly filled me with confidence but when injuries forced our management team to unwrap the cotton wool from the youngster and throw him into the title race, I quickly realised that we had a very promising prospect on our hands. For one so young he appears to be able to read games very well. His slightness hides a physical presence that he is able to channel correctly. His game also allows others around him to play with a freedom.

Not one single player can take any extra credit or glory for overhauling Celtc last season but Mo Edu can be proud of his contribution in the nail-biting finale to the season. This included a brillaint OF debut where Mo helped Rangers to a 1-0 victory over Celtc at Ibrox. His energy in that game was outstanding as was his general performance. I was looking forward to Mo taking this form and confidence into the new season but the knock he took in the final game of season was more serious than first imagined and we were informed that he�d be missing for a prolonged period. As said above I believe that this has had an impact on our early season form especially given the fact the Kevin Thomson is also just coming back from serious injury. It is encouraging to hear that Edu is on the road to recovery and I for one can�t wait until he makes his comeback into the Rangers starting 11.

Cammy F

There was times in the summer where id forgotten about Edu.

I agree he can be a key player. He brings a different kind of energy to the team that seems to spark up the midfield. I like the fact he is physical and can be a box to box type of player.

If we could get 2 consistant wide men then having Edu and Thomson play together in the centre midfield would give us a solid look and thats without thinking about Davis.

will definatly be a welcome back when he returns.

Edu will give us another option in midfield, where I believe we have struggled this season, and the sooner he is back the better, but it may be he needs time when fully fit to get match-fit.

Thomson is another case in point. Very lacklustre and poor displays recently could be due to not quite being fit enough yet to play his best stuff.