RSAssembly Committee Meeting Report

For those that may not visit the RSAssembly website, please find the report posted below.

http://www.thebluenose.co.uk/news/assembly-news/assembly-meeting-10th-october-20091018256/

The Rangers Supporters Assembly held a Committee Meeting on Saturday 10 October and a summary of the key agenda topics and agreed actions is set out below.

- TURNSTILE PLAQUES

The project to erect turnstile plaques named after former players and sponsored by supporters clubs (eg the Sammy Cox gate sponsored by the North American Rangers Supporters Association) is progressing well. The next steps are to finalise the price, confirm the logistics for erecting the plaques and then clarify the process for supporters clubs to sponsor a plaque.

- TICKETING ISSUES

A meeting will be held with the Club on 16 November to discuss the main processes involved in the ticketing service with the aim of delivering significant improvements in the standard of service from both the Call Centre and the Ticket Centre.

Concerns were raised about the Champions League pricing and the ticket pricing policy generally in the current economic climate. These matters will be raised with the Club.

Action continues to lobby other SPL clubs on ticket pricing for our fans and also the provision of concession tickets - our aim is to achieve consistency and reasonable pricing across the SPL. Strategy may involve a media campaign, if necessary, to expose the worst offenders like St Mirren last season.

- FANS FORUM

Agreement that these forums are a very good way to involve fans, identify the issues that concern fans, generate ideas and obtain feedback. Next step is to arrange two forums - one in Glasgow and one in Northern Ireland. Aim is to invite a cross-section of fans who may not otherwise have a direct opportunity to provide input.

- ASSEMBLY CONSTITUTION

Discussion about how best to ensure that all fans are part of the Assembly. All delegates asked to review the Constitution and suggest any areas for change/improvement. In the meantime, it was agreed that the website and other communication channels be used to encourage all fans to contribute ideas and raise points that they feel the Assembly should pursue. Part of that will include details of who the local contacts are. Key message is that the Assembly wants to be inclusive not exclusive!

There was some discussion about how to achieve autonomy and be self-funding. Ideas raised included charging a small membership fee, holding a major fund-raising event or Convention or a series of smaller regional events and an Assembly booklet (similar to the Wee Blue Book) that could raise funds through advertising and, possibly, a small fee.

The aim is to become self-funding and, although not an immediate priority, delegates were asked to consider this to inform a debate at a future meeting.

- MEDIA HANDLING

The responses to recent articles in the Daily Mail and The Times were discussed and it was agreed that the Assembly would continue to try and improve in this area. It was recognised that it was not sensible to react every time. It is better to be selective and target effort where it can have maximum impact. It was also agreed to capitilise on the positive stories more vigourously.

- MINUTES SILENCE/APPLAUSE

This was raised in light of the recent minutes applause in memory of former SFA President, David Will. Very firm view that the policy should always be a minutes silence. This will be raised at the next meeting with the Club.

- NEXT MEETING

The next meeting will be the quarterly meeting with the Club. Arrangements to be made to find a date in November/early December that will enable the new Club Chairman to attend.

All interesting enough and I guess we have some sort of time-line to see how the club react.

I read this report this morning and posted some questions about the plaques on their boards.

I am glad they are publishing quite extensive minutes of their meetings and they do seem to be genuinely wanting to engage as many fans as possible, true to their word from the fans forum.

Although it seems the committee at the top are doing their bit and putting in some work to this, I am not sure about the underlying area men. Despite checking that my contact details are accurate, I have heard nothing all season from them in an official RSC capacity about meetings, agendas etc. Some more work to do in that regard I think.

Some interesting topics there and so good to see them prepared to be specific about a number of issues. I still believe the underlying RSA structure isn't the right one for general representation but hats off to them for the effort, really most encouraging. This is how to change opinions and engage with supporters, although if I'm honest, I'd be none the wiser if Frankie hadn't posted it here.