Celtic supporters have bad memories of Jorg "The Hammer" Albertz from his playing days with Old Firm rivals Rangers.

All too often, a swing of the German midfielder's sweet left foot would send the ball fizzing into the net with unerring accuracy.

Now that the Hammer has hung up his prodigious boots, he's predicting further heartache for his old rivals when Hamburg visit Celtic Park on Thursday on Europa League duty.

Unbeaten in nine league games so far this season and sitting joint top of the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen, Hamburg's start to the new campaign hasn't been too shabby.

They were on the receiving end of a 3-0 drubbing by Europa League rivals Rapid Vienna but responded with a 4-2 win over Hapoel Tel Aviv.

Celtic drew and lost to the same opponents and go into Thursday's clash bottom of Group C.

The Germans don't have their injury troubles to seek: defenders Alex Silva, Collin Benjamin and Miroslav Stepanek, plus striker Paolo Guerrero, are all suffering from torn cruciate knee ligaments.

Ze Roberto has impressed for Hamburg

Ze Roberto has impressed since his move from Bayern Munich

Defender Bastian Reinhardt and prolific Swiss forward Mladen Petric are also long-term casualties.

Nevertheless, Albertz, who starred for Rangers from 1996 until 2001, believes Hamburg can absorb these injury blows ahead of the tie in Glasgow.

"Hamburg have got a big squad of very talented players," he told BBC Scotland.

"They've not been beaten for a long time and have a very strong side. Technically, they're very good. Of course, they've got some injury problems.

"But, at the end of the day, the squad is big enough to bring a team to perform well at Parkhead.

"I think it's going to be a tough game. Celtic at home, with their supporters behind them, are a very difficult team to play against.

"They fight from the first minute to the last. That's what they need to do to get something out of the game.

"However, Hamburg are a very experienced team in terms of European and international games."

Albertz says the German outfit are playing as a unit and could benefit from Celtic's indifferent form.

Hamburg goalkeeper Frank Rost and Piotr Trochowski

Frank Rost and Piotr Trochowski are mainstays in the Hamburg side

"It's very hard to beat Hamburg at home," he said. "They'll travel to Celtic Park knowing they're a hard team to beat, but they've got the players to do that.

"The main positive for Hamburg at the moment is that they're playing as a team.

"Ze Roberto, who came to the club from Bayern Munich, has proved to be a very, very good signing for them. Piotr Trochowski, the German international, is also one to watch.

"Goalkeeper Frank Rost is very experienced and, as I said, the main factor is that they're playing as a unit. Everybody's working for each other."

Throw Eljero Elia into the mix, the Netherlands striker who scored the winner in the World Cup qualifying win over Scotland recently, and the Germans look a daunting prospect.

Albertz said the defeat by Rapid Vienna sent shockwaves throughout Germany, since Hamburg were favourites to win the game.

"That was a shock, but I think the team is back on track now," he said. "It's going to be a tough game for both sides.

"Celtic will have their backs against the wall. To go further in the Europa League, they must win the three points."

Albertz doesn't believe Hamburg will be too cavalier at Celtic Park.

"They know how hard it is to play against a team like Celtic," he said. "I imagine they'll sit back a bit, waiting for the counter attack in the hope of sneaking a goal."

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Can Celtic overcome Hamburg?

Albertz said such was the quality of Hamburg's squad that many in Germany were tipping them to win the Bundesliga.

"It's a long season, but they've got a big squad to compensate for injuries," he said. "They can go all the way.

"I'd definitely go for a Hamburg win when Celtic travel to Germany. But, if Celtic are at their best on Thursday, maybe they can sneak a point.

"But my favourites are Hamburg for Celtic Park as well."

Could they win the Europa League this season?

"If they can avoid too many injuries, they may cause a surprise," he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8318828.stm

If Celtic are at their best, maybe they can sneak a point. :D Love it Albertz. Hope his prediction of a Hamburg win is correct.

Ian, is that the one where they're chanting Rangers? Sound is knackered on my laptop.

Aye.......'' Glasgow Rangers '' :)

The Man City fans were awesome at Man City last season. Let's hope they can do it again and wind the mopes up tonight.

When's kick off?

BTW, Hamburg have 4 players out injured with the exact same injury. :eek:

The Man City fans were awesome at Man City last season. Let's hope they can do it again and wind the mopes up tonight.

When's kick off?

BTW, Hamburg have 4 players out injured with the exact same injury. :eek:

K-off, 20:05 ITV4