Rangers star Madjid Bougherra insists he is happy to stay put for rest of the season

Star asset Madjid Bougherra has told Rangers that he is determined to stay at Ibrox for the rest of the season.

The French-born Algerian�s declaration will delight fans - but worry the bankers lurking in the background at Ibrox as Sir David Murray seeks a buyer for the cash-strapped club.

Sportsmail revealed last week that Wigan want to test the water with a �£3million bid for the defender when the transfer window opens in January.

But Bougherra insists his stance has not altered since last summer, when he revealed his plans to win a move to a ââ?¬Ë?top-sixââ?¬â?¢ English club by starring in the Champions League for Rangers and the African Nations Cup and World Cup Finals for Algeria.

Under contract until 2012, the 27-year-old has the right to reject any potential transfer, just as Kris Boyd blocked his move to Birmingham last January - no matter how much

Rangers might need the money.

ââ?¬Ë?I have not changed my intentions from last season,ââ?¬â?¢ said Bougherra, who will miss Wednesday's vital Champions League return with Unirea in Bucharest because of a

knee injury.

ââ?¬Ë?I will definitely stay in Glasgow and I will finish the season at the club. I love life at Rangers and I am sure they will find an investor and things will work out.

ââ?¬Ë?I feel great in Glasgow and, plus, I need stability, because it is one of the keys to success and progress, especially on the eve of the African Nations Cup and a World Cup, hopefully.ââ?¬â?¢

Enlarge Walter Smith and assistant Ally McCoist

All smiles: But rangers boss Walter Smith and assistant Ally McCoist know their team need a positive Champions League result on Wednesday

Bougherra, who has missed the last four games and Sunday�s abandoned fixture at Tannadice, is confident Walter Smith�s players can still have a successful season despite indifferent form and off-field concerns.

ââ?¬Ë?It has not fallen for us in recent weeks because we have had so many players injured in key positions,ââ?¬â?¢ he said.

ââ?¬Ë?We havenââ?¬â?¢t had a full team and that explains some disappointing results.

ââ?¬Ë?We play in Romania on Wednesday and we know that we absolutely must win to have a chance of getting to the next round of the Champions League.

ââ?¬Ë?I wonââ?¬â?¢t play in this game because a knee sprain requires at least four weeks of rest, and I am in my second week. But my heart is with my team-mates and I really hope they come back with a good result.ââ?¬â?¢

Rangers fans and management will be intrigued to see if Bougherra is fit to face Egypt with Algeria in a fortnight in a crucial World Cup tie.

Lee McCulloch will fly out with Smith�s squad and, if he is required in midfield, there could be a European bow for 17-year-old defender Danny Wilson.

Injured pair Maurice Edu and Kirk Broadfoot will continue training this week, with a bounce game scheduled for next Tuesday to help the Scot step-up his return to fitness after being out since March.

Meanwhile, Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain has thanked fans for their support amid

takeover speculation.

ââ?¬Ë?It has been a difficult period for fans both in regard to results and speculation about the future of the club,ââ?¬â?¢ said Bain.

ââ?¬Ë?However, they have stepped up to the plate in their thousands to voice their support.

ââ?¬Ë?The overarching message from the fans is that the interests of Rangers must come first and foremost.ââ?¬â?¢

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1224839/Rangers-star-Madjid-Bougherra-insists-happy-stay-rest-season.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0VkmmKUTC