Some truth about Manchester at last?

Saw this from the Manchester Evening News over on Vanguardbears website.....

Police boss: Council caused Rangers riot by turning off big screen

Exclusive by John Scheerhout

November 14, 2009

A SENIOR police figure has blamed Manchester council for the Uefa Cup final riot. Chris Burrows, chairman of the Greater Manchester Police Federation, which represents rank-and-file bobbies, said the big screen showing the match in Piccadilly Gardens was deliberately switched off.

Drunken fans went on the rampage before and after the game between Zenit St Petersburg and Rangers in May 2008.

Town hall officials have consistently said the screen failed, prompting a night of serious rioting. A council report blamed drunken fans for thwarting efforts to overcome a weak signal to the screen, with contractors ordered to abandon the site and run.

Following the latest claims, the councl again issued a strong denial and GMP Chief Constable Peter Fahy said no blame could be apportioned to any organisation.

Mr Burrows made his comments at the Federation's annual open meeting in the V&A hotel in Manchester. It included a question-and-answer session with Chief Constable Peter Fahy, Coun Paul Murphy, Mr Burrows and other Federation officials who were also on the panel.

Asked by one officer who had been to blame for the Uefa cup 'fiasco', Mr Burrows said: "It was the local authority. I was listening to the (police radio that night. That screen was switched off."

No-one on the panel rebutted Mr Burrows' comments.

After the meeting, Coun Jim Battle, deputy leader of the council, said: "The claim that the screen was switched off by the council is entirely unfounded. The screen broke down and as the technicians tried to fix it they were pelted with bottles. Nothing excuses the mindless violence that followed.

"Never have we experienced the widespread rioting and hooliganism we saw in the city that night. police officers, council staff and others showed admirable courage and carried out a splendid job under extremely difficult circumstances."

Mr Fahy later said: "A council investigation revealed the signal failure was responsible for the screen not working. No blame can be apportioned to any organisation. The disorder was a consequence of individuals taking part in violence."

Good effort rbr, hopefully he'll pick it up.

He is a mong and him and roughie do just take opposing views on everything to stir debate. Whilst he is no "friend" of Rangers, the nature of his show means that sometimes the side of a story showing us in a good light does get aired whereas other media sources would ignore it. (Hope that makes sense? :confused:)

Even if it was switched off, it doesn't excuse the voilence. I was ashamed at those sights.

I'd rather just put it behind us and move on.

Totti,

From what you've posted today alone, you sound like you're one of those who have swallowed the media's message hook, line and sinker. I'm always disappointed to see Rangers supporters who feel so acutely embarrassed to be Rangers supporters.

Manchester was an orchestrated fudge from start to finish. Sufre there were some very dubious characters, most of whom seemed to appear on the streets in the late afternoon and early evening. But why not tell us how embarrassed or angry you were about the GMP thugs clubbing innocent fans from behind? Or have you come here to spread myths too.

Totti,

From what you've posted today alone, you sound like you're one of those who have swallowed the media's message hook, line and sinker. I'm always disappointed to see Rangers supporters who feel so acutely embarrassed to be Rangers supporters.

Manchester was an orchestrated fudge from start to finish. Sufre there were some very dubious characters, most of whom seemed to appear on the streets in the late afternoon and early evening. But why not tell us how embarrassed or angry you were about the GMP thugs clubbing innocent fans from behind? Or have you come here to spread myths too.

'It wiznae us' only lasts so long.

I pay little attention to the media and there isn't any paper I regularly read.

I call it as I see it.

BTW - Who orchestrated this whole mad conspiracy? Osama Bin Laden?

'It wiznae us' only lasts so long.

I pay little attention to the media and there isn't any paper I regularly read.

I call it as I see it.

BTW - Who orchestrated this whole mad conspiracy? Osama Bin Laden?

You're no bear, why are you here?

I can assure you I am...I had thousands of posts on FF.

FF, wow, I stand amazed. A real live FF member, I am impressd.

Listen bud, that's nothing to boast about in my opinion - it's been said, not unreasonably, that that place has more member from the dark side than bears. If you're a bear, you're a damn strange one.