Don't get the obsession with Souness

When thinking about it, I don't remember Souness doing "badly" at any club. At worst he did "average". Taking Newcastle as an example, he did no worse than most managers there and at least didn't get relegated as they have now. He was average at Blackburn and he also kept Southampton up and where are they now? For Benfica and Galatasaray he was second in the league and won the cup - pretty much par for the course for them. Even for Liverpool he won their only trophy in about a decade.

So to me, he's a bit of a steady, average manager.

Edited by calscot

I think more fans admire him more for being a true Rangers man than an average coach.

I think you're not only right about that but I believe we need someone of Souness' character more than many think. His managerial skills may be questioned by some but the motivational effect on this club right now would be electric. Turning a company around isn't all about numbers and process mapping. We're on our collective arse right now and in dire need of a spiritual lift. No one should ever underestimate the beneficial effect of leadership, something we've no seen for so long that some may no longer be able to recognise it.

While his lack of business experience and average recent managerial record are valid enough points, the esteem with which Souness is regarded by Rangers fans is, I would have thought, pretty easily explained.

Not only did he take us from the lowest low to the beginning of 9IAR, but off the field what he did for Rangers is exactly the kind of thing we desperately need at the present time and have needed for years now. Spiers, English, Lawell, Peat, Celtic FC, the SPL - none of these jokers would have pissed on Rangers with free abandon if Souness had his say. Do people not remember how good it felt when Celtic and the rest of Scottish football, the media and the establishment were shite on Souness shoe?

Periodically clubs need a pretty colossal kick up the arse (Newcastle right now for example). Rangers are in dire, dire need of it some time soon. If it isn't Souness it has to be somebody very like him. And there ain't many Sounesses.

You only need look at his performances on sky sports on C/L nights and how he talks about us , it get's the hairs on the back of my neck rising , he would be immense behind the scenes IMHO

You only need look at his performances on sky sports on C/L nights and how he talks about us , it get's the hairs on the back of my neck rising , he would be immense behind the scenes IMHO

"Yeah....for sure....The Famine Song's better than ah first thought".

Hi rbr, I know exactly what you mean. The very thought of Souness at our table makes me want to punch the air.