Midfield shortage??

I'm getting a bit worried about these central midfield injuries & it's making me wonder what our options are. With Thomson out again, Mendes still out & Edu only just getting to the stage where he 'might' be coming back in, I'm wondering where the cover is. Walter certainly doesn't have the players to go with 3 central midfielders that we're familiar with, but does he have others there who could step in if need be? I'm thinking of Bougherra & maybe Whittaker as possible options for central midfield if 'push comes to shove'. Bougherra could be a good defensive central midfielder if McCulloch had to suffer an injury or suspension & Whittaker could be an option to replace Davis if he had to be deliberately taken out with a dirty tackle & left injured. Obviously there's the youngsters as well.

What do you think?

I'm getting a bit worried about these central midfield injuries & it's making me wonder what our options are. With Thomson out again, Mendes still out & Edu only just getting to the stage where he 'might' be coming back in, I'm wondering where the cover is. Walter certainly doesn't have the players to go with 3 central midfielders that we're familiar with, but does he have others there who could step in if need be? I'm thinking of Bougherra & maybe Whittaker as possible options for central midfield if 'push comes to shove'. Bougherra could be a good defensive central midfielder if McCulloch had to suffer an injury or suspension & Whittaker could be an option to replace Davis if he had to be deliberately taken out with a dirty tackle & left injured. Obviously there's the youngsters as well.

What do you think?

Another 2 games and Bougherra is away. I would imagine Webster will be called back to cover. Stevie Smith is also an option but not one that will improve the team.

Whittaker CM ? :eek: NO THANK YOU !!!

Bougherra COULD play there but I would prefer not to see him there either as he likes to break forward and I dont see him getting the same space in midfield that he does in coming out of defence.

If we had to I would prefer to see Fleck in there and Naismith has been playing there this season too - certainly there have been players more accustomed to playing CM than Whittaker.

Another 2 games and Bougherra is away. I would imagine Webster will be called back to cover. Stevie Smith is also an option but not one that will improve the team.

That's the thing pete, Bougherra being away is going to mean we're weakened on options. Wilson will no doubt be brought back in & I'll be pleased with that.

Webster cannot be brought back in January. That's been covered here on Gersnet & although it's still sketchy in terms of official Rangers news, it's a dead cert' that he's at United till the end of the season.

Stevie Smith in central midfield is a no-no imo. Whittaker would be a much better option for me.

Whittaker CM ? :eek: NO THANK YOU !!!

Bougherra COULD play there but I would prefer not to see him there either as he likes to break forward and I dont see him getting the same space in midfield that he does in coming out of defence.

If we had to I would prefer to see Fleck in there and Naismith has been playing there this season too - certainly there have been players more accustomed to playing CM than Whittaker.

Yep, Whittaker in CM is an option, just an option! ;) .. He's certainly a better option there than Naismith, but that's just my own opinion. Naismith is a striker/attacking winger & he looked out of place playing in central midfield, although he could no doubt work as an attacking mid if he was given enough game time to get used to the role.

Yep, Whittaker in CM is an option, just an option! ;) .. He's certainly a better option there than Naismith, but that's just my own opinion. Naismith is a striker/attacking winger & he looked out of place playing in central midfield, although he could no doubt work as an attacking mid if he was given enough game time to get used to the role.

I know you have made some very weird selection predictions in your time Zappa but Whittaker at CM has to almost top them :thup:

Being serious for just a moment - even though Naismith hasn't shot the lights out at CM how on earth can you come to the conclusion that Whittaker would be a better option there than Naismith when Whittaker has never, ever played that position before ?

Sorry but that would be potentially suicidal if you ask me.

I would rather play Fleck there than Whittaker and I would still rather play Naismith there than Whittaker. That said, with the injuries mounting Whittaker is closer to a game in there than any of us would like

I really don't understand the thinking behind that at all. If he was tasked with the job of being a defensive mid he'd be given a free role to defend & attack as he pleases, which is exactly what he seems to enjoy doing!