Midfield shortage??

Primarily because he's not comfortable in defense, but as an emergency stand-in midfielder, who are any of us to say that he couldn't do a good job? This thread IS about emergency stand-ins for the central midfield role....

Was he not SIGNED as a defender ?

Reverse your question though - who are any of us to say he WOULD do a good job ?

Craig there is a massive difference between not able and low on confidence , Whittakers showing on our UEFA run proves he has ability , our midfield this season would give any team the skitters , we need to get of our players backs and start backing the younger ones , far too often we right off players after a few bad games , wee fleck anyone

Where did I say he didnt have ability ?

I have said that his defensive positioning is awful since BEFORE he signed for us, and I still maintain that.

Should he be living on his UEFA run glory for the remainder of his Gers career ? You are only as good as your last game and Whittaker has been poor this season - I would reckon even he would admit that.

I dont see it as getting on anyone's back - I was merely providing my opinion as to why I wouldnt want him at CM.

Craig, we're all entitled to an opinon, but the fact of the matter is that we're trying to guess what Walter Smith might do with our squad if Davis or McCulloch get injured or suspended in the very near future while we don't have cover for them. So you think Naismith would be a better emergency central midfielder than Whittaker? Well, that's your opinion!

Craig, we're all entitled to an opinon, but the fact of the matter is that we're trying to guess what Walter Smith might do with our squad if Davis or McCulloch get injured or suspended in the very near future while we don't have cover for them. So you think Naismith would be a better emergency central midfielder than Whittaker? Well, that's your opinion!

It also appears to be an opinion shared by the manager given he played Naismith there earlier this season, no ? He even preferred Naismith at CM to Davis.

It's OK man, you can admit you are wrong ;)

It also appears to be an opinion shared by the manager given he played Naismith there earlier this season, no ? He even preferred Naismith at CM to Davis.

It's OK man, you can admit you are wrong ;)

Craig, you're talking nonsense. :D

Just as well we both know you are wrong, as does Walter Smith :thup:

Not at all mate. The difference is that I'll admit when I'm wrong & you struggle to do the same. :thup:

Whittaker is arguably a better all-round player than Naismith. Whittaker's problem is being played as a defender when it's not his strong point. He struggles to convert passes out of his right back position when he'd be much more comfortable making passes from a more open position in midfield where he'd have all the space in the world in comparison to being hemmed in by the opposition when he's playing right back.

We all know that Whittaker has been very very shaky at RB so far this season & my point is simply that it's not his best position & that he's a potential candidate for a stand-in central midfielder if we're struggling for someone to play there. He does actually have good defensive qualities, he CAN tackle, he CAN win headers, he DOES have pace & energy in abundance, he has good close ball control, he likes to run at defenses & has goals in his locker. For further reference check out the away game in Lisbon that Ian mentioned. :thup:

Not at all mate. The difference is that I'll admit when I'm wrong & you struggle to do the same.

You know me too well :D

.Whittaker is arguably a better all-round player than Naismith. Whittaker's problem is being played as a defender when it's not his strong point. He struggles to convert passes out of his right back position when he'd be much more comfortable making passes from a more open position in midfield where he'd have all the space in the world in comparison to being hemmed in by the opposition when he's playing right back.

I won't argue that Whittaker could be seen as a better all-round player but that doesn't mean he should play in one particular position more than the person you compare against. What matters most is that you play the person you think would be more effective in the position needed. Now, you COULD argue that Whittaker could be more effective at CM than Naismith but there is no evidence to suggest it.

I am failing to see how he would have more space in midfield when we invariably play against 4 or 5 midfielder in opposition. I see what you are saying about being curtailed to one side of the pitch but the midfield would be more congested in personnel than he is at RB.

.We all know that Whittaker has been very very shaky at RB so far this season & my point is simply that it's not his best position & that he's a potential candidate for a stand-in central midfielder if we're struggling for someone to play there. He does actually have good defensive qualities, he CAN tackle, he CAN win headers, he DOES have pace & energy in abundance, he has good close ball control, he likes to run at defenses & has goals in his locker. For further reference check out the away game in Lisbon that Ian mentioned. :thup:

I will agree with you that RB is not SW's best position, you wont hear me disagree there. But because it isnt his best position does that mean we should shoe-horn him in somewhere ? He is a confidence player and, right now, he is all out of confidence.

He isnt the only one who can tackle and header, in fact, were we not lauding the aerial prowess of Naismith at the start of the season ? Naismith's ball control isnt worse than Whittaker's and he is more natural at running ar defences too. The only quality you provide where Whittaker is better than Naismith is his tackling (and possibly his pace & energy, which is debatable). Naismith has goals in his locker too, he should have being a striker to trade.

I don't mind you using Lisbon as an example but do you honestly think that he (or any of our players) would be afforded that much space and time in the SPL ? I don't.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't want to see Whittaker at CM and you don't mind. Opinions and all eh :thup: Would rather have him there than Mladenovic right enough :D

Whittaker in midfield? Im with Craig on this one and cant believe its even a suggestion. And got abuse for liking Buffel but someone is suggest Whittaker as our central midfielder???

Bring back Konterman :fish:

Whittaker in midfield? Im with Craig on this one and cant believe its even a suggestion. And got abuse for liking Buffel but someone is suggest Whittaker as our central midfielder???

Bring back Konterman :fish:

Ha Ha Konterman was on TV here a few days ago and he said although he started bad at Rangers he ended up more popular than even Michael Mols and Numan.

On a sports programme tonight they were talking about Ronald Koeman and Jan Mulder an old Ajax player and pundit here said he will end up at a club like Glasgow Rangers. He then said to Ronald Watterreus Oh sorry that is one of your old clubs. Waterreus answered," yes i was there on a grey Sunday." I liked Waterreus but he has now dropped down on my list of favourite players